Can it really be this easy? Introducing new hens

foxinachickenhouse

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Oregon
A few weeks back we got 3 new Australorp hens. After the appropriate quarantine period I prepared to introduce them to my mixed flock. I was planning to bring them in slowly in a separate run/ same area etc, etc.

Day before yesterday, in a fit of post flu dementia I decided to just let them all out to free range together and see what happened. There was 1 small scuffle, our wonderful roo broke it up immediately and that was it. They free ranged together all afternoon, eventually bedding back in their respective coops.

Next day, I put the new girls in the run area with the flock and there was no drama whatsoever. They all acted like they had been there all along. Come night fall I let them bed in each their respective coops again.

Today, same thing. They go into to run with the flock, no drama. So I locked them all in the main coop at dusk and let it play out at roosting time. One new hen roosted just fine between her new buddies and the other 2 were confused, so I put them on the roost. Now they are all just fine.

My question is...can it really be this easy? Will I wake up to carnage? Did we just get lucky? Is it because of our excellent roo and his supervisory skills? I expected a lot more stress and kerfuffles.

Sometimes it's that easy, sometimes you get carnage. The carnage usually occurs on introduction not later. I think you're ok.

cool
smile.png
i wish my leghorn girl was that easy. she FIGHTS MY COCHIN ROOSTER! AND HE FIGHTS BACK!
roll.png

yep, it was that easy for me! free ranging where there was plenty of space for escape from scuffles is the key to the introduction. i have introduced birds 4 times like this and never once "carnage"

I introduced two new older hens to my two younger hens last night and had no problems at all and I do not have a rooster old enough to go outside of the border yet. I'm excited to get the baby's out side... O o O and I got my First 2 eggs ever today:D
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

An uneventful night in the coop! I am grateful it went so smoothly and am so glad we got the new Aussies. They are such good layers. New happy chickens, what a joy.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom