Can laying hens have non-medicated chick starter?

Aquatic_blue

Songster
May 14, 2019
Southwest USA
I am kind of curious if laying hens can have non-medicated chick starter crumble. They currently eat a layer crumble, but I wonder if a non-medicated chick starter crumble would be harmful to them. Why or why not?

Here and the ingredients:

Ingredients:
Wheat Middlings, Corn, Soybean Meal, Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bentonite, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Propionic Acid (A Preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 20.00%
Lysine (min.) 1.00%
Methionine (min.) 0.50%
Crude Fat (min.) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (max.) 6.00%
Calcium (min.) 1.00%
Calcium (max.) 1.50%
Phosphorus (min.) 0.70%
Salt (min.) 0.25%
Salt (max.) 0.75%
Sodium (max.) 0.50%.

I am kind of curious if laying hens can have non-medicated chick starter crumble. They currently eat a layer crumble, but I wonder if a non-medicated chick starter crumble would be harmful to them. Why or why not?

Here and the ingredients:

Ingredients:
Wheat Middlings, Corn, Soybean Meal, Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bentonite, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Propionic Acid (A Preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 20.00%
Lysine (min.) 1.00%
Methionine (min.) 0.50%
Crude Fat (min.) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (max.) 6.00%
Calcium (min.) 1.00%
Calcium (max.) 1.50%
Phosphorus (min.) 0.70%
Salt (min.) 0.25%
Salt (max.) 0.75%
Sodium (max.) 0.50%.
Absolutely. They can stay on it for life. BUT you need to offer a supplemental source of calcium for active layers. Keep a full container of oyster shell very near the feeder. I also toss some in the run and pen with a handful of mealworms to encourage them to eat it. I do this with new layers as sometimes they don't realize what the OS is there for.

I feed my flock starter. Just be sure they have oyster shell available 24/7 for calcium.
Nothing is available to my flock 24/7, except shelter. Beyond that they only access feed, water, and other treats or supplements during the light hours.

Making sure that it's in an easy access location is more key... so they see it often. Like next to the feed or near the doorway. :)

"Starter" feed is okay for hens as long as they also have a calcium source available. The main difference is protein and calcium levels. Also the amino acid level is often higher in starter feeds than layer.

Now, in truth... It may actually be better for them than layer. My birds go through less drastic molts and recover faster... since I started feeding higher protein than layers' typical 16%. Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.

Regardless of what it's called layer, starter, all flock, flock raiser, grower, finisher... it's all about protein and calcium followed by amino acids. The "starter" feed I use has 22% protein... I hate these confusing words the companies use... Supposed to make it easier for us to. :lol:

I never use medicated problem setup when they do sick nothing will help yes layer can eat starter higher protein
Unless you're finding medicated with actual medication in it rather than the normal coccidiostat, this is untrue. Corid doesn't hurt them a bit, or impact their future treatment.

Back
Top Bottom