Can Leghorns, Hybrid, Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, Sussexs, Plymouth rocks and Buff Orpingtons live

Habib Ikram

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2016
I live in Dubai and really want some chickens, I am thinking of 10. I want a species that lays lots of eggs and is friendly. Leghorns, Hybrid, Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, Sussexs, Plymouth rocks and Buff Orpingtons are the best breeds for that purpose. But can they live in hot climates? It can get up to 35-40 celsius in the summer! So, which breed should I get, and which of them can withstand lots of heat?

I live in Dubai and really want some chickens, I am thinking of 10. I want a species that lays lots of eggs and is friendly. Leghorns, Hybrid, Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, Sussexs, Plymouth rocks and Buff Orpingtons are the best breeds for that purpose. But can they live in hot climates? It can get up to 35-40 celsius in the summer! So, which breed should I get, and which of them can withstand lots of heat?
I think I can help you out Habib. I live in the desert SW section of the US and it typically gets to 46C-48C during the summer. I have a couple of different breeds but my Leghorns have been the best in weathering the heat. Another breeder I know recommended Naked Neck (Turkens) as doing well in the heat and so I have some now that are a little over three months old so I can see for myself. From what I've read Naked Necks don't lay quite as well as the breeds you mentioned but if you have the space you might want to try a couple. I also have Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Barred Rocks that do well in the heat also. I have English Buff Orpingtons and mine have fared the worst in the heat. I guess it's because of their body mass and heavy feathering. I lost two cocks while the weather was very mild for Arizona. I'm not saying they're all like this but that has been my experience.

One thing I do when the temperature gets above 38C is I put out shallow oil pans filled with water and the birds like to stand in them during the hottest part of the day. I believe they get relief because the water cools down their legs. I know it works well because they almost always stop panting while they're standing in the water. I also added a fan in their run. I tried a misting system but some of the birds were afraid of it so I stopped using it. I've heard of other things you can do like put ice in their water, etc., however; I'm working most of the day so short-term relief measures like that don't really help in my case. One other thing is make sure they have plenty of shade. I keep my birds in coops with covered, secure runs to keep them out of the sun and safe from predators, which we have many. Shade and water is probably the two most important things to provide.

So in summary I've found Leghorns to be the most heat tolerant, followed by Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds, and I'm told Naked Necks do well so I'm testing that theory but I believe they don't lay as well as Leghorns, Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds. Also keep them in the shade and provide plenty of water for drinking and to stand in.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom