What breed do you like better the Rhode Island Red or the buff Orpington?!!!

which do you like the best the Rhode Island Red or the buff Orpington?

• Total voters
I’ve only had buffs and they are great! …I like a variety of friendly birds, and didn’t choose a RIR only because they are sweet to humans but often not to more docile birds.

Our Buff boy is super sweet, too. Just likes eating and the only boy we can pick up without a fuss.

I chose Buffies just because RIRs aren’t super friendly with new arrivals. I do love my RIR mixes, but my buffie is arguably the sweetest.

Buff Orpingtons or Rhode Island reds! Which is your fav? And why? mine is the buff Orpington
I think you will get different valid answers based on why people have chickens, I've had both breeds in the past and have a few of both breeds now and definitely prefer the RIR's . The Orpingtons are friendly but with their size they definitely eat more and their eggs are not as large as the RIR's and they don't lay as many. So if eggs are the reason for keeping either breed, the RIR's win hands down. Plus the ones I have now the RIR's are friendlier.
My husband just picked up a few RIR's late this past summer to boost our egg production come winter. The Orpingtons are all molting now.

Back
Top Bottom