Can LICE cause limping leg or bad eye??

arena26

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Hello! I have a gold laced wyandotte thats about 5 months old and about a week ago I noticed her starting to limp and not been able to walk properly on one of her legs. She can put weight on it but sometimes makes a noise if she has both legs down. I don't know if thats normal noise or if she is making noise because she is in pain. I thought she was starting to get better but today I noticed her eye on the same side is half closed
sad.png
. I went and spoke to someone at the grain store and they told me to inspect her properly which i did and I found lice!!!!!! **** things! I went straight back and got Pestine (lice dust) and have dusted her and the 4 other chickens I have.

I just wanted to know if her leg and eye have anything to do with the lice or are they separate injuries ? Any answers would be appreciated. Thankyou

Is the eye on the same side as the affected leg? Did she have a Marek's vaccine? Do you believe she was injured? Examine her eye for any bubbles inside the eye or drainage, which could be a sign of a respiratory disease. Be sure and dust her again in 10 days for the lice, and clean out the bedding and dust too.

Well I am struggling with a sick bird myself. His leg seems injured and he might have cloudy eyes--not sure on the last. Those two together signal mareks disease. I hope it is not the case for both of us!!

Yes the eye is on the same side as the injured leg :( I hope it's not that disease because I'm guessing she hasn't been vaccinated from that because she came from a big farm. But yesterday I did see lice all over her...I have separated her from the others because Im worried about them catching anything.

I hope for both our chickens they don't have it either! I just don't know what else to do. I live in Australia and the vets charge ridiculous amounts just to see them , something like $60 that's not including any treatment

We put our hen own today, she was very unwell and thought we would out her out of her misery. Wish we knew what was wrong with her but at least she isn't in any pain now.

I honestly wouldn't know where to go?? I'm keeping a very close eye on the 4 I have left for any un normal behaviour. Thank you for your comments and replys. Appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom