Can my bantam babies go outside?

freerangeladies

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Well the problem is I live in Idaho where it WAS warm but has now turned into a late winter. During the day we can sometimes get up to the 40's. My baby Brahma bantams are going to be 4 week sold this week and are outgrowing their brooder fast. I have a chicken tractor with a light that I pulled into our shed (not entirely closed in) that they would have a lot more room in. Is it too early to move them out if they are covered and heated? I have 23 plus two Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks the same age. I would put cedar chips down etc.

Thanks!

p.s. what if I put them out during the day to start?

I wouldn't use cedar it can be dangerous for them. Put thermometer in the chick tractor to see how warm it stays. And start with putting them outside for the day and bringing them in at night for about 5 days. The 1st night they stay out, go check on them and see how they are. If they seem to cold maybe add more shavings. I put my chicks out at 5 weeksg

Good luck.

The oils in cedar can cause eye and skin problem. It can also cause respiratory problems. I was told many times by people on here to not use cedar. Now once they were in their big coop I have mixed half a bag of cedar with 2-3 bags of pine to help cut down on flies.

Back
Top Bottom