💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have 6 chicks and one of them is a little smaller than the others. She is getting pecked a lot and has a lot of stress. She has been having pasty butt off and on. I moved her to a different bin with a different heat source. She of course has food and water. Wood chips are on the bottom of the bin. Can she be alone? I've tried putting one other chick in with her. That used to work but now they all peck. What can I do????? (Here's a pic of her and another chick with her, it is red because of the heat lamp bulb color. She is the one with the funny butt.)

DSCN7129.jpg

Please reply soon! Thanks!

I would not. I would separate the chick from the others with some wire they can see through but not peck through and do it that way.
Last time I had a solitary chick it freaked out constantly. It was not a happy bird.

Not sure how putting down a small wall of chicken wire puts your lamp in contact with cardboard, tbh....

I don't know how that would work. There is only one heat source in the bin which is a heat plate. Who would get it? Marshy or the other chicks?

You're right, that makes things harder to arrange. ;) Might have been good to know you had a heat plate as your sole heatsource for a flammable brooder somewhere in the thread. Since all I see is lamps in your other posts.

Which of course means that if it were me I would try to make a non-flammable brooder arrangement and use a lamp and separate them as stated before.

I mean, a single chick will LIVE on it's own but it won't be happy/healthy and since it's already got a weakened immune system I'd keep it as close to but safe from the other birds as possible.

Back
Top Bottom