can my chicken lay more than once a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hammykins, Oct 12, 2010.

1. hammykins

hammykins New Egg

Oct 12, 2010
    we have 4 chickens...Peeps, a Rhode Island Red, just looks like a mother and has recently started squawking and getting crazy. I figured she'd laid an egg somewhere. Each day we get two eggs around the same time. The other chickens seem younger...but maybe one of them is laying, too? Or are both eggs coming from Peeps? they look the same, beige.

I should mention the other 3 chickens are a Polish, a Silky and an Araucana (blue eggs I think)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    Peeps don't lay eggs, pullets do. They must be around 6 months old and will only lay 1 egg a day with the proper amount of light.
    Welcome:welcome

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:ummm yes they can. I used to have a Dom hen that would do that every oncein a while. Know it was her because at the time she was the only one I owned that didn't lay a white egg and we check boxes several times a day. So yes it can happen although very rarely

4. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    thought it was once every ~26 hours at the very most?? and then once the timing gets to the afternoon they wait until the morning?

5. hammykins

hammykins New Egg

Oct 12, 2010
    so, then I guess we probably have two layers...just so weird they started laying on the same day. And only one chicken exhibited the squawking (egg song) and the squatting and spreading her feathers like i read about.

Thanks

6. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Hammykins- three of my four pullets started laying the same day. (weird, huh?) The other started about a week before them. So yeah, it's more likely that you have two layers than one who's laying two eggs every day.

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Supposed to be 23 hrs, but Aunt Susie was special.

I had to give up all my birds last year. Aunt Susie went to a lady that says she stiil occassionally lays 2 eggs a day. She loves her!

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Ah
    Pullets!

Yeah it sometimes seems it's Monkey See Monkey Do.

Once those egg songs get going it's a lot of fun.

They're probably all just getting ready to startand you got 2 to start.

Congrats!

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    We had two start laying on the same day too. I wonder how common that is? Maybe we should take a poll????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by