Can my chicks go outside...?

AlliBunny

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Hi!
So I just got 3 baby chicks last week and I've never had chickens before... They're only a week old but I was wondering if I could take them out in the grass in like a little pen to just play for a few minutes when it's warm out? Supervised, of course. Or do I need to feed them grit in case they try to eat the grass or something, and how old are they suppose to be before they eat any kind of grit...? Haha sorry if some of these questions are stupid, I just don't know what they would do or anything, and when in look some of this stuff up i get different answers. Or can they just not be outside at all until they're a little older?
Thank you!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
If your chicks are a week old they should be kept at a brooder temperature of around 80*-90*F, so use that as a guide. I used to put my chicks out from when they were only a few days old, whenever it was warm enough outside, and they loved it. You can judge from the chicks' behaviour also if they are too hot, too cold or comfortable. In this case watch them and if they huddle together and dog pile on top of each other it means they are too cold and should be brought back inside. As for grit, they can eat some grit now already and should if they eat anything other than their chick feed. If you can't find chick grit you can offer them clean, course sand instead.

My first found of chicks didn't go outside until temps hit 50 and above...because of Ohio weather, that meant they were over a month old. My second hatch was outside at 10 days...at 2 weeks they were completely moved out with the chickens because it maintained a high temperature by then.

Okay, thanks for the different perspectives! I asked the guy at the feed store I bought them at too, and he said maybe wait until 4 weeks just to make sure they don't get too cold outside and stuff since Oregon doesn't always have the best weather, so I'll probably just wait until they're a little more sturdy to be safe. :)

We are in Phoenix... It's hot! We have 4 babies, 3 weeks old and they have been going outside at dusk for an hour or two (its about 100F out by then). They love it!as the sky gets darker they want to come inside :)

Back
Top Bottom