Can my crazy chicks go outside? :)

Jlmiller5289

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
First time chicken owner here 😅

I have 4 chicks that I picked up on 3/21. I’d guess they are almost 5 weeks old? (Assuming they were 2 days or younger when I got them, they will be 5 weeks on this Friday) They all feathered out very fast and I can’t find any obvious fluff left on them. They don’t use a heat lamp anymore and they only spend the day outside so far. The lowest it’s been while they have been outside is 64 degrees. We have a new eglu cube (that I’ve shown them and they aren’t so sure about yet 😅) I know they are fine during the day but when will it be safe for them to be out overnight too?

They HATE their brooder and are going to hurt themselves trying to fly out of it 😩 Like they fly into to lid because they want to cuddle with me and would simply prefer being out of it lol (and they are in a 150 gallon stock tank with a custom made lid 🤦🏼‍♀️)

I took a screenshot of our forecast for the next 10 days. I’m worried about the night time temps being so low because everything I’ve read says 50 degrees at the lowest ☹️

I also included a few pictures of the chicks from today. They weren’t cooperating much 😅 TIA!

CF309A9F-43BF-4140-97A5-8E5E062B567A.jpeg
6930E671-4227-4E9F-B5CB-215A5D7F3003.jpeg
3BB79C18-4952-4A5D-BBD3-0ED22A41FA11.jpeg
E3424DDD-F2EE-406C-9DBC-76F0CA53F8F9.jpeg

044FA0BA-2906-499D-825A-A42DDBC1817A.png

They need to go out NOW. They are more than ready. Have they been spending days outside? If so, move them into the coop. Put them inside early in the day and let them explore the coop and get to know it's home. They will be less likely to up upset when darkness comes.

They need to go out NOW. They are more than ready. Have they been spending days outside? If so, move them into the coop. Put them inside early in the day and let them explore the coop and get to know it's home. They will be less likely to up upset when darkness comes.
Here I am worried that I’m being a jerk trying to kick them out early 😆🤦🏼‍♀️ I’ve been placing them inside the coop to show them but they obviously jump out. Should I lock them inside of it during the day? 🥺 So far they’ve been spending time in the run during the day (which has the coop in it)

Yes, you need to close them up in the coop. I take it these are your only chickens? If so, it makes it much easier than when you have adults bullying them. This is only to familiarize them to the coop before dark so they don't get upset.

You will have another chore ahead of you, though, teaching them to go into the coop at night, which may take a few days to accomplish.

Yes, you need to close them up in the coop. I take it these are your only chickens? If so, it makes it much easier than when you have adults bullying them. This is only to familiarize them to the coop before dark so they don't get upset.

You will have another chore ahead of you, though, teaching them to go into the coop at night, which may take a few days to accomplish.
Yes these are my only chickens. How long am I supposed to keep them locked inside of it? It’s warmer inside the coop than outside, will it get too warm for them? Will they be ok without access to water and food for however long it is? I love these little stinkers so much, I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right 😆🤦🏼‍♀️

Just a few hours before bedtime. I like to give them at least three hours before it gets dark. No biggy.
Ok that sounds way better than what I was imagining 😆 Thank you so much! Is there any point that the temp would be too low for them at this point? Or are they good to go? Thank you so much!

Is the coop too small to put their food and water inside? Normally, they don't require these at night, but for three hours before bedtime, they do need access to them.

Unless your temps get down into the low forties and thirties, they can huddle together for warmth. As long as they fill their crops before bedtime, they will generate all the body heat they need over night.

I don't see much in the way of ventilation in that coop. It could be a major problem if it's not adequately ventilated. Ammonia is generated as they poop, and it can cause respiratory illness if it can't be vented outside.

In the cold of winter, ventilation is necessary to vent water vapor that can cause frostbite if it get down to freezing. People have had to cut vents into these prefab coops quite often upon discovering they're not properly vented.

I agree that they are fine going out now. Your weather is fine also. Heres my 3 week olds outside in colder weather. We get down to the 20s at night. Theyve done just fine. As far as locking them in the coop. I've never done that. I just put them in the coop every night for a few days until they get it. My babies are 3 weeks old and go into the coop by themselves now but I do have bigger girls who they may be taking lead from.

Attachments

• 20210418_195833.jpg
    20210418_195833.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210418_195831.jpg
    20210418_195831.jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom