Can my hen be broody AND egg bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HalfPeddler, Feb 16, 2019.

1. HalfPeddler

HalfPeddler In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    First I want to thank all of you for being here! You have no idea how much I've learned from this site. We've only had our chickens for about ten months and so far everything has been going great mostly due to the wealth of information I have found on this site. Our 10 month old Buff orp, Dottie, was acting broody last night and this morning - grumpy, sitting on coop floor near nest box instead of roost - so we took her in to the indoor rabbitry to a crate with food and water to try to break the broodiness. This worked before after keeping her in there for about 3 days. Almost as soon as my husband set her down she pooped and then passed what appeared to be a nasty rotten egg. No doubt about the nasty, rotten part - little doubt that it was an egg. Immediately she was up and acting normal, so I decided to let her go range with the other girls with monitoring. I started to wonder if maybe she was egg bound and now the problem was solved. She headed up the hill with her sisters, scratching around as usual. I joked with my husband that he helped her get that egg out by carrying her from the coop to the rabbit house and called him Chicken Doc. I had to clean up the mess and air out the building and apologize to the rabbit. About an hour later no sign of Dottie, and sure enough she was back in the coop acting broody. She did eat when I put some food in front of her Any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

3. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
  4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I'm not so sure your girl is broody. You may want to start another thread on ER forum with pictures of the "egg" and your girl. Someone there will surely be able to help you get to the bottom of this.
    Best of luck.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. My gut says more broody than egg bound.

6. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    :frowHi there and welcome.
    But you came to us with a problem that needs solving...
    Do you think the entire egg passed?
    Was it a solid mass like a “lash egg”?

Buffs ARE prone to broodiness but I think that might not be what you’re dealing with. I think she doesn’t feel good.

First of all I think you should glove up and feel an inch or two inside to make sure there’s nothing else right in there.

Lash, soft-shelled and shell-less eggs are very exhausting to pass.

A good dose of calcium several days in a row *might be of benefit.

Lash eggs are often a sign of a serious reproductive infection or disorder

Articles about salpingitis are good reading.

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome.
    Check out the link @staceyj posted.

Is a vet an option?

8. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
  9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :ya Best of luck with your sweet hen! Bear hugs! :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: