Can my neighbors complain

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by jmeeter88, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Songster

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    It's such a shame that people are so crabby and find things to complain about. There are some neighbors that nothing will make them happy - they're just unhappy people. You just want smack 'em! [​IMG]

Occassionally I'll wake up in the middle of the night to let Sara (our GShep) out and I hear our neighbor's roo crowing up a storm - it just makes me smile.

Personally I'd rather hear a roo than the incessant barking at dinner time of our other neighbor's huntin' dogs. [​IMG]

2. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Songster

Oct 7, 2008
    I would double check your zoning. If you are in the city, the current USE of the land could be very different from what it is zoned for by the city. Also, in the town I live in, roosters aren't permitted, period, because of agression and noise, and the fact that the city doesn't want breeding going on in town. This is how they draw the line between "backyard chickens" and a business operation. I agree with future posts- double check (read) your ordinances, and check the zoning as well. Roosters may not be permitted at all. And people can complain about the noise and smell. Uhhg. Who doesn't like the sound of a rooster? Ah well. That's the fun of having backyard (rather than back 40) chickens, right? Right.

3. 12 Acres

12 Acres Songster

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    If I complained about agricultural noise around here people would look at me like I'm kooky!

4. NorTracNY

NorTracNY Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Macedon, NY
    I'm sure the corn and beans are not going to complain to the town about the noise of a rooster.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Off topic... Judymae, the pug in your avatar is so adorable. Reminds me of my pug, Lucy (RIP, sweet Lucy girl).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: