Can (or Will) My Chickens Eat These Berries?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I have a wild berry bush in my yard, it is by the right side of my house, perfect for the chickens. It provides shelter and protection against predators. They will spend hours in this giant bush. But these berries are poisonous to people but are not poisonous to some of the wild animals around here I think. I don't know what they are so I'm just going to describe the berries white, smooth, round, and they have a little black dot on the end and the steam is red. Last year there were not that many berries which worries me and now, the second year of having the chickens and they are master foragers. Are these berries poisonous to chickens?
I will post a picture of the bush soon.

I don't know that particular kind of bush, but chickens are fairly good at figuring out what's safe for them to eat. I would not feed them the berries on purpose, but if they free-range in your yard, I would not worry if they sample the berries.

Of course, if your chickens suddenly act sick, then suspect the bush, and feel free to tell me I was wrong. But I really don't think you need to worry about it. You say your chickens are master foragers, which means they have had lots of practice at deciding what things are good to eat and what things are not.

Although it really is hard to make out clearly, I do see at least some clusters of three leaves in the top picture, and poison ivy bears white berries like you describe. I concur with the other posters that chickens have very good survival instincts and will probably stay away from anything harmful to them, but if this plant is toxic to you and yours, then it may be a good idea to grub it out. Do some online research first and protect yourself with appropriate clothing, gloves, and eyewear, dispose of it properly so you don't inadvertently propagate it, and do not burn it if it does prove to be a noxious plant.
Poison ivy? I sometimes sit in the bush with my chickens. (don't judge) And would touch it, never got itchy or sick from it. They like to sleep under it so I think that they know that it is safe?

Although it really is hard to make out clearly, I do see at least some clusters of three leaves in the top picture, and poison ivy bears white berries like you describe. I concur with the other posters that chickens have very good survival instincts and will probably stay away from anything harmful to them, but if this plant is toxic to you and yours, then it may be a good idea to grub it out. Do some online research first and protect yourself with appropriate clothing, gloves, and eyewear, dispose of it properly so you don't inadvertently propagate it, and do not burn it if it does prove to be a noxious plant.

(I had to take the picture from my 2DS, sorry)
2nd picture has some of my chickens in it. Also, the leaves will get way bigger and more leaves appear later this year.
Photo on 6-1-20 at 1.26 PM #2.jpg

Photo on 6-1-20 at 1.26 PM.jpg

I don't know that particular kind of bush, but chickens are fairly good at figuring out what's safe for them to eat. I would not feed them the berries on purpose, but if they free-range in your yard, I would not worry if they sample the berries.

Of course, if your chickens suddenly act sick, then suspect the bush, and feel free to tell me I was wrong. But I really don't think you need to worry about it. You say your chickens are master foragers, which means they have had lots of practice at deciding what things are good to eat and what things are not.
Ok, I will keep a eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom