Can poultry roam around together?

ChickensAsPets

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2017
I was wondering if All poultry types are allowed to free range together. I don't mean lock them up in the same coop every night, i mean just when i let them out can they be near each other. The poultry types I am talking about are Pheasants, Ducks, Turkeys, Emus, Geese, Quail, Chukar, Partridges, Peafowl, And etc. Most poultry

I was wondering if All poultry types are allowed to free range together. I don't mean lock them up in the same coop every night, i mean just when i let them out can they be near each other. The poultry types I am talking about are Pheasants, Ducks, Turkeys, Emus, Geese, Quail, Chukar, Partridges, Peafowl, And etc. Most poultry
My experince with quail, partridges and pheasants is, that they will not free range. If they get out of their enclosure, they are gone. They won't hang out with other poultry. The rest you mention tend to free range more readily, you'll have better luck with them free ranging and returning to an enclosure/coop for the night.

I agree, if you have a pheasant for a long time they might come back if a predator doesn't get to them. I've had 2 swinhoe roosters and a red golden hen get out and they came back but I would never deliberately let them out. Pheasants and Chukars in particular are very stupid when it comes to predators so they can often get into trouble even when they don't immediately head for the hills.

I used to think that free range was roaming around in a caged area. Sorry Im learning! But Can i let the partridges, quail and pheasants roam around in a fenced off space though?

If i put them in different cages at night, but at day time, Can they roam in the fenced off area together? Also is there a term for fenced off space, cause i used to use free range but now i know free range is, well, free range!

If i put them in different cages at night, but at day time, Can they roam in the fenced off area together? Also is there a term for fenced off space, cause i used to use free range but now i know free range is, well, free range!
A fenced off space is generally called a pen or enclosure.
They should be able to run together as long as the enclosure is big enough and the top is covered with wire or mesh to keep them in the enclosure.

I personally recommend netting for the roof of the fenced in area. Both pheasants and chukars spook easily and are less likely to injure themselves on netting than on wire.

Back
Top Bottom