can prolapse be caused by duck mating chicken?

deanna&rich

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
chimacum, WA
I have a male pekin duck who has recently been mating one or two of our chcken hens (both are favorites of the roo's, also, out of our 6 girls).
(We've been trying to isolate him or break the behavior, but will put him down if we can't stop it).

One of the hens has been laying bloody eggs lately, and I'm afraid that it's because of the large duck. Can this lead to a torn or prolapsed cloaca?
We're not sure which girl it is, but want to take care of the problem before it gets bad.
Thanks for your thoughts...

Last edited:
If they're mating normally, no. If he's scratching her vent up with his feet, maybe. Birds do not have parts that go inside other parts for mating; they only have parts that touch.

deanna&rich :

I have a male pekin duck who has recently been mating one or two of our chcken hens (both are favorites of the roo's, also, out of our 6 girls).
(We've been trying to isolate him or break the behavior, but will put him down if we can't stop it).

One of the hens has been laying bloody eggs lately, and I'm afraid that it's because of the large duck. Can this lead to a torn or prolapsed cloaca?
We're not sure which girl it is, but want to take care of the problem before it gets bad.
Thanks for your thoughts...

Now thats gotta hurt that hen-dont ducks have a screw like penis? unlike the rooster that doesnt penetrate at all-ouch I only have 1 male duck and have yet to see him go after my girls but Ive heard of that happening:-( SORRY Im not much help just wanted to bump you for help​

no thats swine with the screw shaped penis. poultry just tap the back ends together and thats it.

Quote:
Really!?! Like a pig!?! In that case, forget what I said...
barnie.gif

Quote:
barnie.gif

Ive always been told ducks have a cork screw penis-now the funny thing is I never knew pigs did? I was always keeping an eye on my 1 male duck so he did not trap one of my girls into mating and hurting them...ALL this time I never knew he couldnt "hurt" them that way???

Quote:
barnie.gif

Ive always been told ducks have a cork screw penis-now the funny thing is I never knew pigs did? I was always keeping an eye on my 1 male duck so he did not trap one of my girls into mating and hurting them...ALL this time I never knew he couldnt "hurt" them that way???

Now you're gonna catch him and "have a look", aren't you?

Quote:

Now you're gonna catch him and "have a look", aren't you?

yes but I dont know if I want to see his winger
sickbyc.gif
--hes free ranges with al the chickens and trys to go after 1 particular girl alot luckily she can jump high away from him but this is also why he has his own pen SPring-Summer-And fall and hes getting 2 girlfriends at chickenstock in May:) he need a buddy of his own breed to "play" with:)

Back
Top Bottom