Can purebred black ameraucanas have any white on them?

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
So, I got 20 easter eggers about 10 weeks ago from a hatchery that also sells pure black and blue ameraucanas (who knows if this is true, though.) One cockerel in the whole batch looks like a purebred ameraucana, I very much doubt he actually is, but he has all the characteristics. He has a pea comb, black legs with a little white on the bottom of his feet, muff and beard, and he is completely black except for a little bit of white in his beard and muffs. Does this mean he is just an easter egger or could he actually be an ameraucana? It doesn't matter to me if he is purebred or not, I'm just curious.

Here are some pics!
20210607_155528.jpg

20210607_154640.jpg

You can see the rings of white in this bottom photo.
20210607_155517.jpg

One last question: if this one chick looks so much like an ameraucana, do you think the hatchery is really selling pure ameraucanas?

Thanks! :)

There are hatcheries that sell blue, black and splash Ameraucanas. Cackle, Meyer and McMurray are ones off the top of my head but there are others. They all got their seed stock from top breeding programs. Their biggest problem is they don't cull breeders ruthlessly like an individual would so small undesirable traits start creeping in. The white will probably disappear after his first major molt.

There are hatcheries that sell blue, black and splash Ameraucanas. Cackle, Meyer and McMurray are ones off the top of my head but there are others. They all got their seed stock from top breeding programs. Their biggest problem is they don't cull breeders ruthlessly like an individual would so small undesirable traits start creeping in. The white will probably disappear after his first major molt.
Thanks! I'll probably buy some ameraucanas from them in the future. :D

So, I got 20 easter eggers about 10 weeks ago from a hatchery that also sells pure black and blue ameraucanas (who knows if this is true, though.) One cockerel in the whole batch looks like a purebred ameraucana, I very much doubt he actually is, but he has all the characteristics. He has a pea comb, black legs with a little white on the bottom of his feet, muff and beard, and he is completely black except for a little bit of white in his beard and muffs. Does this mean he is just an easter egger or could he actually be an ameraucana? It doesn't matter to me if he is purebred or not, I'm just curious.

Here are some pics!
View attachment 2717478
View attachment 2717480
You can see the rings of white in this bottom photo.
View attachment 2717482

One last question: if this one chick looks so much like an ameraucana, do you think the hatchery is really selling pure ameraucanas?

Thanks! :)
How does he look now?

Back
Top Bottom