Can Someone Answer THIS??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Steph Martin, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    I've posted so much recently but, once again, have yet another question...

I have a little chick with a broken ankle. All her brooder mates were killed a week ago by a family of raccoons. She survived because she could not move and, therefore, didn't get pulled out through the poultry netting by questing hands.

She is inside and on the mend and even putting weight on her little foot and she is six weeks old. I have a Silkie I integrated (along with her four 5-week old babies) into the the flock today (only five others - one Silkie roo and four mutt hens) Silkie mama and babies are going to do great and seem to be getting along with the others. Here's the question...

WHEN LITTLE INJURED CHICK CAN FUNCTION FULLY, CAN I SNEAK HER UNDER SILKIE MAMA AT NIGHT?? Is it too late for Mama to accept a baby that is a bit bigger than her own?

I fully understand (but might not be correct in thinking) that an injured bird might not get along but would it with a mommy protector? If Silkie would adopt said chick would she not defend it against the others?

How in heck did anyone ever do this without you guys to help with these silly questions

2. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Please dont take my word for it, mine could be the exception~but I have a 10 week old silkie, Lulu (sex=unknown) at 8 weeks, it's 5 siblings were killed by a coon. I went & bought (2) few day old cochin chicks and put them in with Lulu that same night...I was scared of the age difference, but a very few pecks later Lulu has really taken over and been great with these babies. So see what everyone else says but mine did fine!

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I'm sorry, but there's about a 95% chance the mother hen would either kill or reject the newcomer. Occasionally I've heard of hens taking on older chicks as their own, but there's a double setback here which is the injury.

I think if it was me, I'd keep on with the home care. Only when she's fully well would I try to integrate her, and for her best chance that would be at point of lay.

Unfortunately things can happen quickly so if you do decide to chance it, try to stay nearby. Even then it's risky... Sorry for being so blunt, but you've put a lot of work into this chick, so I imagine you want to give it the best chance of a full life.

Hope this helps,
    Erica

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. It is hard to answer your question. Some hens will adopt and others won't. All you can do is try and if your does then great.

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    It's also a matter of the chick's reaction. It hasn't grown up with a mama chicken and might not know how to act like a chick that way. If mama calls them over and the baby doesn't respond, there's a good chance mama will reject her. I have brooder and broody raised chicks. Yesterday I let them mingle outside with mama hen outside of the pen. Whenever she would call them over only her chicks responded, and the others got a stink-eye from her. She can definitely tell the difference.

6. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    my 2 month old silkie is playing momma to all my 2 week old chicks right now... i think it depends on the bird's personality. my other hen wouldn't dare take in another chick, half the time she doesn't want her own!

7. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:Mines doing the same think!! It amazes me!!

8. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Although the hen "might" accept the chick, there is a good possibility that she wouldn't. The chick would end up dead. Why risk it? If she is doing okay and mending on her own, I don't see a need to put her with a hen and risk getting her killed. It might work better to just put another chick or two in with her, especially if you have a chick that is slightly younger or smaller.

Just my opinion... Good luck with whatever you decide.

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agreed

10. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Guys....could I "steal" one of the Silkie's chicks and stick that in with the little injured one or will Silkie go nuts and spend her time trying to recover the stolen one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by