Can someone clarify "closed flock" to me?

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
If you have a "closed flock", does it mean that you do not bring/allow chickens from outside sources on your property?

I no longer consider myself as having a closed flock since I do occasionally buy/get chicks. However, I do practice biosecurity and prefer not to let visitors tour my property/chicken coops. I've heard that disease can be spread just as easy that way as it can be by bringing in sick birds.

I was becoming confused on the whole closed flock thing...some folks say they have that type of flock and yet buy/get chickens (both chicks and adults) and take them home.

Someone please clarify for me. I know of a few other people who are confused by this as well.

Last edited:
It means that you continually breed back to birds that you've hatched. In other words, year after year after year of 'line breeding.' You do not bring new blood in from other peoples birds...

Doesn't have anything to do with biosecurity...

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought closed flock meant you just keep what you already own and don't buy any more birds or chicks at all. Hatching your own eggs would still meet the definition. I don't know if hatching eggs from an outside source would qualify or not.

Thanks, Poulets.
frow.gif
I do/have bought chicks before...just bought some bantam Ameraucana chicks from John Blehm. And even though he's probably one of the safest people on the planet to buy chicks from, that still doesn't enable me to say that I have a closed flock.

Be careful if you try to go the 'closed flock' route. I've heard that after some years problems start arising from the inbreeding. You can nearly have a closed flock and go many years without bringing in new blood if you keep good records and track the breedings.

Maybe if a person told you she had a closed flock and then got some from an outside source, it was her way of saying, "I don't want your birds". An easy out.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom