Can someone explain-YouTube in Post #12

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
It's very confusing. Can someone post pictures of the saddle feathers that distinguish Roos from Hens?? Some pointers on what to look for? And hopefully the pictures will be of young birds to show how to identify them on the young bird.
And the comb.... I am reading that the Roos have 3 rowed combs. Does that mean Roos don't have a single row comb?

I have 4 ~ 9 week old birds. And 2 of them have combs (single row and not any brighter red than my mature hens) and wobbly things.... I found them a home and my sister says wait wait wait - that she talked to a woman who worked for Southern States for 20 yrs who said people always came in saying they were sold Roos instead of hens. And they always told them to wait, because almost always they were hens. That different breeds develop differently. So I am waiting to see if one or both crow. All of them are still peeping.

Now my 2 that I am concerned are Roos, their combs and wobbly things seem to be staying proportionately to the growth of the bird - in other words, they aren't getting larger. The birds are getting larger. Their combs have remained the same. From behind, they look the same as the 2 hens. Their legs don't seem to be thicker. Their behaviors are the same -- all 4 of them. I don't see feathering from the top to be any different from the other 2. All tails go right up - no sloping downward. Here's a picture of one of the 2.

64255_close1.gif

Last edited:
When they're talking about three rows in the comb, they mean a certain type called a pea comb. Males get three rows of "peas" early on and females usually do not. Yes, males in single combed breeds have single combs. There are several comb types.

The "wobbly things" you are referring to are called wattles. That bird in your picture is a rooster. At 9 weeks old, pullets (girls) do not have huge red combs and wattles like that. And it has stringy saddle feathers, too.

See the stringy, fringe-like, skinny, pointy bunch of long feathers hanging off the back of this young rooster and over his side, just before you get to the tail? Those are the saddle feathers.
DCP_4963.jpg

Below is a hen of the same breed--see? No long fringe of feathers hanging over the side near the tail.

DCP_4289Amanda.jpg

Speckledhen did a wonderful job showing the differences between the 2 sexes..and completely agree the one in the picture is a rooster his saddle feathers are obvious in the picture and whoever said combs are that red on pullets at that age is trying to sell swamp land in the desert.When you first start out with chickens it can be hard to tell the difference but once your around them very long you can pick out the roosters usually pretty young.

Hawkeye was sort of a rescue. He was a fabulous rooster who set the bar for all others after him, still have one of his sons with me. Poor guy knew he was handed a good life and paid us back over and over. Anyway, glad his saddle feathers made it easy to understand.

R.M. Hens :

Quote:
Ahh Haa!! I see!! I see!! I didn't start this post but was hoping to learn from it and thanks to you I have. Thanks a bunch!!

X 2! learning more and more! TY!​

I see on these big birds. I don't see it on my 4 biddy birds. I will try to get pictures this evening. They just move so darn much. They won't stand still and pose for me!! Yikes! I appreciate your patience....

Back
Top Bottom