Can someone help me quickly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandysylvester, Aug 26, 2011.

1. sandysylvester

sandysylvester Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I don't know what to do. My hen just layed an egg, came out of the coop and it walking squatting. I looked @ her vent and it appears there is an egg with membrane around it. Anyone know what to do? I dont want to cut the membrane. Am I supposed to push it all back in?

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i know most of that kind of stuff but i do not know what to do with that? [​IMG]

3. sandysylvester

Apr 18, 2011
    I will try to go get a photo.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Look for the link prolapse. I would bring her into the sink, warm water, and lube up her butt. try not to break the egg. and don't let anyone else pick her butt, she is very vulnerable right now.

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    lubricate her vent with a little vaseline or olive oil. Maybe it is just a little stuck and won't lead to full prolapse. Separate her quickly.

6. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    x2 - handle her gently so you don't accidentally break the egg yourself. Put her in a cage or in a box in a quiet place on top of a warm, moist towel and see if she can pass it.

Are you saying she laid one egg and there is another right behind it?

7. sandysylvester

Apr 18, 2011
    The egg came out. 2 in one day. I picked her up, and it looked as though it was already breaking the membrane. I still see red something down there. She would not let me get near her, she is freaking out.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  8. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:poor baby. Prolapse? That must be painful!

9. sandysylvester

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:Yes one right after it. This is her first time laying an egg. I have had a terrible time with chickens. I had 2 die as chicks, this is my "buddy" chicken who sits on my shoulder and chances are she may have issues or even die.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You HAVE to catch her and intervene. She will do more damage to herself flapping around, and she could tear it and bleed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by