Can someone help with these feral birds?

KrisRenee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Bastrop, TX
I have one of the feral pullets hatching some EEs and Aracaunas for me as well as two guineas - she keeps using my front flower garden to lay eggs and then went broody with two eggs. She seems calmer than most of these and does not growl at me or anything. These chickens/roosters roost in the trees at night and forage all over my property by day. Does anyone know what they are besides beautiful?

13419_feral_rooster.jpg

13419_feral_birds.jpg

Thanks!
Kris

He is beautiful, isn't he? He is the largest and IN CHARGE! There are three others almost as gorgeous as he is but he does not allow them on the same side of the fence. It is pretty funny to watch him run off the others. I have an entire feral chicken album at my Kodak site filled with pics of these birds. I love watching them! If they'd ONLY stay out of my flower gardens!

They look like OEGB (Old English Game Bantam) to me. They certainly are beautiful. And, yes, they go broody at the drop of an egg and make wonderful mothers. My OEGB's are may favorite birds.
cool.png

These may be sleeker because they are feral and have to forage for all of their food? Does not help that we have been ina drought since last October (which is why they love my gardens so much). I finally got some food for them to entice them away from the gardens.

They DO look like the pics of the American Game Bantams! I followed the link to another site and found some that look almost exactly like him. But ... his legs are very, very yellow and none of the others have legs like that?

BeckLa, are yours friendly? How about yours, LuckysMom?

Beautiful game rooster. I grew up with these on our farm foraging through our garden and roosting in our shops and barns... my mother hated that.

in my personal opinion he looks to be a cross something like a claret/hatch or maybe an albany/hatch as ia known in the gamefowl world used to breed gamefowl as hobby birds because they are so majestic looking.

Black breasted Red American Gamefowl. Hard to say which strain/family since many look alike, (hatch, albany, claret, etc....). They look to be very healthy and enjoying freerange life. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom