Can someone please explain this hen behavior? Is she sick??

Glad you will be getting some Tylan to treat the symptoms. It's a good antibiotic to use for disease like Mycoplasma. Amoxicillin isn't that effective against MG since it has no cell wall.

I would still check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink. Sometimes there can be more than one thing going on.

Thanks. What exactly am I checking for? And if it’s empty, how will I know I’m not just feeling the wrong place? She’s hard to grab and she will flail so wish me luck lol

Thanks. What exactly am I checking for? And if it’s empty, how will I know I’m not just feeling the wrong place? She’s hard to grab and she will flail so wish me luck lol
Yes, your checking to see if it's empty.
Its not hard to miss, the crop is the area of chest below her head.
1648614546076.png

If its empty, it should be flat and you may be able to feed the tip of the keel bone. At lest I feel like I'm able to feel it.

Yes, your checking to see if it's empty.
Its not hard to miss, the crop is the area of chest below her head.
View attachment 3043033
If its empty, it should be flat and you may be able to feed the tip of the keel bone. At lest I feel like I'm able to feel it.
Thank you so much for all of this help. I will try to feel it in the morning!

Way back on page 1, post #10 Coach explained the crop.

Go out early in the morning when she's roosting and feel her crop to see if it's empty.
I rarely ever chase a chicken in the day, I'm too old and fat to do that, they don't like and I don't like it either🤣

Way back on page 1, post #10 Coach explained the crop.

Go out early in the morning when she's roosting and feel her crop to see if it's empty.
I rarely ever chase a chicken in the day, I'm too old and fat to do that, they don't like and I don't like it either🤣
Okay I just checked the crop. It feels empty? All I feel is a pointy breast bone? Does that mean she’s for sure not eating?

Okay I just checked the crop. It feels empty? All I feel is a pointy breast bone? Does that mean she’s for sure not eating?
No, that means her crop emptied overnight, which is what you want.

Watch to see if she's eating and drinking today. Feel her crop at the end of the day and see if it has any food/water in it.

she won’t eat from my hand. I saw yesterday that she was pecking at the inside of an orange that fell off of our tree. She also took a slight bit of blackberry from me yesterday. Other than that, I haven’t seen her eat anything but I don’t watch her 24/7. I just poke my head out at random times. I can tell she is not feeling well since she’s not out eating at our grass, digging for worms, or dust bathing like she usually does. Her bestie, which we got the same time as her back a couple years ago, had passed away 2 weeks ago, which is what prompted us to get new hens (I think she passed from a reproductive disorder since she was acting completely fine but stopped laying at 2 and never resumed until she shockingly passed one morning). Is it possible that my hen is depressed?? I know she Is also fighting a respiratory issue but she just is not acting her normal self. She used to come running to me for treats anytime I went outside and would peck my hand like there was no tomorrow. Now, she gets real close to the food, maybe pecks, but then walks away. Hopefully, when we quarantine her with the Tylan water (prescribed by the vet, which we will be picking up this afternoon), she has no problem drinking it and perks up a bit. I love these ladies and I need to do everything I can to keep them healthy.

How is she getting along with the newbies?

Glad your vet was able to get you some Tylosin. If she's not drinking the medicated water, then you'll need to syringe that into her several times a day.

Back
Top Bottom