Can someone please help identify what's wrong with my tomatoes? Please help! (Picture attached)

Jul 30, 2021
(I know about theeasygarden, but I can't figure out how to make a post and I am desperate right now!)

This is my first time doing this, but I started a ton of different types of tomatoes inside with grow lights. They have been doing very well, but I just checked on them and I swear they all suddenly turned purple and yellow! They all seemed fine earlier. Also, they are not all the same age, but even the ones that are different ages are still changing color. Two stems even fell off.

I looked it up, and it seems like a nutrient deficiency in the soil can cause this, which wouldn't surprise me. Right now, they are all growing in a mix of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite, with some worm castings added for nutrients. Are worm castings not enough, even at this stage? Could it possibly be a disease?

I have put hours and hours into my garden and I am terrified that I am going to lose all of it! Anyone who can help, thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_121542978.jpg
    IMG_20230328_121542978.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20230328_121547352.jpg
    IMG_20230328_121547352.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230328_121700749.jpg
    IMG_20230328_121700749.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230328_121607890.jpg
    IMG_20230328_121607890.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230328_121628112.jpg
    IMG_20230328_121628112.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230328_121711368_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230328_121711368_HDR.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 5
How long do you do you run your grow lights and how close are they to your plants . Red/ purple plants look like sun stress ( to me ) . How much are you watering. Do your pots drain and are you dumping excess water . You could try an all purpose vegetable garden fertilizer diluted to 1/4 the strength recommend . What are your temperatures
They are a couple inches from the light, and the lights run 16 hours a day. I am not overwatering, at least for the ones that had the branches fall off. The dirt was actually a bit too dry this morning, so I watered. Even the seedlings that are still in peat pellets are starting to turn purple. I don't know specifically what temperature it is in here, but pretty warm, especially close to the lights. I will try feeding them and see if they perk up a little bit, but it seems like the small ones in peat pellets shouldn't need nutrients yet, which is why I am so concerned. I guess I'll also try moving the lights a bit farther away.

I am freaking out right now, because I feel like I failed them! Thank you so much for responding.

They are a couple inches from the light, and the lights run 16 hours a day. I am not overwatering, at least for the ones that had the branches fall off. The dirt was actually a bit too dry this morning, so I watered. Even the seedlings that are still in peat pellets are starting to turn purple. I don't know specifically what temperature it is in here, but pretty warm, especially close to the lights. I will try feeding them and see if they perk up a little bit, but it seems like the small ones in peat pellets shouldn't need nutrients yet, which is why I am so concerned. I guess I'll also try moving the lights a bit farther away.

I am freaking out right now, because I feel like I failed them! Thank you so much for responding.
You didn't fail. They look a little sun burned wich can happen. Gardening is a learning curve . You can always try again. Sometimes plants even though they sprout the plants aren't viable . The ones dropping branches might need more water if the lights are that close they could be getting too much light

You didn't fail. They look a little sun burned wich can happen. Gardening is a learning curve . You can always try again. Sometimes plants even though they sprout the plants aren't viable . The ones dropping branches might need more water if the lights are that close they could be getting too much light
Thank you, this makes me feel better. I'll try some different things and see what happens. Thanks again

I understand the feeling about failing them. You will learn and succeed. My guy does our indoor garden and our issue is he starts SO much! Maybe add a fan. Circulating air in there could be something they want. And also, is it too warm in there? I hope you get to the bottom of things. Good luck, keep us updated.

Attachments

• IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    668.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5059.jpeg
    IMG_5059.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom