Can someone please help me find out what this raptor is?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Its big..very, very big..like eagle big...so, i do not think its a hawk. My neighbor thinks is an Osprey...it swooped down in his yard right in front of him and grabbed a bunny. it looks like a brown Eagle to me...but..i just cant tell for sure! if this helps any this was over my yard today...we had 3 of them circling over us and over the wet lands directly behind my house. when they saw my silver camera flashing at them they left after doing a few low fly bys
hide.gif
....then one came back by himself and 2 crows chased it off...
ya.gif
yay for crows! *i think*
lol.png
anyways...i know one has already been in my yard before a few months ago...it almost got my silkie mix girl...it plucked her breast feathers and then my hubby ran outside and it flew off...heres the best pics i could get of it...sorry they arent very good at all...but when they see my camera they start to fly up higher...

2009_04020139.jpg

2009_04020138.jpg

2009_04020135.jpg

2009_04020137.jpg

2009_04020134.jpg

immature bald eagle. we have eagles here by the millions (and i mean it, they're everywhere) and that's looks like a young one that hasn't gotten it's white head & tail yet. another guess is a golden eagle but those are very very rare even here in Alaska. it could be an osprey is you live anywhere near water such as a large lake or deep, wide river or the ocean.

Quote:
hey thanks! we do live by a river..its right on my road. But i would not call it huge...just average river size...and i have the wet lands behind me connected to my yard... it could be a young Bald Eagle...we have quite a bit of them in the Quabbin Reservoir by my house...(10 minutes away)....but these are the same ones we always see and they dont seem to ever get a white head or tail...like the bald eagle... thats why i am so confused.

Quote:
great!
th.gif
now how do i get rid of them...keep them away from us?
barnie.gif
they were ballsy today! real low! but i could not get a pic of it!
he.gif

Im not sure about where you live, but It looks like it could be a golden eagle, I had one in my yard like last year, it had a raven in it claw and was hopping around the yard with it, It was huge and I was awestruck because I had never seen one that close up. It was huge! So I did a search on our local birds and nothing looked anything like it, anyway I was reading the news paper and lo and behold there it was, said it was hanging around the lake for some reason, it hung around town for a couple of weeks, Luckily at the time I didn't have chickens but I can tell you I didn't take my ferrets out til I was sure it was gone! They are beautiful birds though, just don't want them in my yard. Sandy

Back
Top Bottom