Can someone tell me, how long DO quail live for?

Hi,
I have a male English white who is 5years and 9 months.I have to admit he hasn't lead a typical outdoor caged life!!
He has lived in all his life and has been spoiled.
I was just curious to see if anyone else had any really old quail.

I have been searching everywhere, but I can't find an answer which everyone agrees on. Some say 2 years others say 7. I'm talking about Coturnix in captivity by the way, lol. Thank you for any answers
wink.png
It’s because it depends on habitat and also on how many males and females are in pen. I had my mine a male for about 6 months by himself the I put 4 females with him. Moved him to a bigger pen and after 2 years then incubated eggs and had 6 added after 3 months old. But I didn’t realize that they were to many males.. so after a year more almost 4 yrs the other cotunmix males started killing each other and hurt the females and so they died off. Have one left. Just bought him a female will keep an eye out to see what happens. Was told add more females.

I lost 5 females under a year old, and just lost a rooster. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with my ratios, which I know are low.

What I THINK is happening is that the hens are being too stressed by over breeding etc. And overly aggressive roosters.

The rooster I just lost had been beaten up for the second time.

I am trying to boost my hen numbers. And will be changing my roo system. Hopefully for better results.

I lost 5 females under a year old, and just lost a rooster. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with my ratios, which I know are low.

What I THINK is happening is that the hens are being too stressed by over breeding etc. And overly aggressive roosters.

The rooster I just lost had been beaten up for the second time.

I am trying to boost my hen numbers. And will be changing my roo system. Hopefully for better results.
Hens can literally be bred to death. You might give them more room to escape and hide to do what quail naturally do. 4 or 5 square foot per bird. Add fake or natural branches for hiding and cover, over turned flowers pots with a mouse hole cut in to isolate, if you do not use bedding you might start and use grass hay or shavings. Basically just give them a more natural environment.

Yyeah,
Hens can literally be bred to death. You might give them more room to escape and hide to do what quail naturally do. 4 or 5 square foot per bird. Add fake or natural branches for hiding and cover, over turned flowers pots with a mouse hole cut in to isolate, if you do not use bedding you might start and use grass hay or shavings. Basically just give them a more natural environment.
I'm working on that. They definitely have more space than 4-5/sqf. For a while though, there were only 2-3 hens per roo, which I know is low. I'm switching it up.

This is my first year with birds, so I am learning lots still.

Back
Top Bottom