Can someone tell me if I have hens, roos or both?

pikecochickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
We are first time chicken owners. My children's third grade class had a chick incubator in their science class and they hatched chicks. We brought two home. They are Ameraucana's. We were told that we had one hen and one roo. The one on the left is supposed to be the hen. Can any of you tell me what you think? Both chickens have bumpy ridges on top of their beeks, but the one on the left is redder. The man who provided the chicks told the kids that when the chickens are about 4 weeks old, you can hold the roo upside down by his feet and he will fight to get upright. The hens will just stay there. Well, we tried it. The one we think is the roo (on the right) fought to get back upright and the one that we thought was a hen (on the left) just layed there. Is this a true indication or an old wives tale?

LOL! Okay everyone! Thank you! So I will switch their names Beatrice is now Phillip Fred and Phillip Fred is now Beatrice. :) haha!

I agree. You have a male on the left and female on the right, though they are Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. Cute ones, too!

That sexing thing is an old wives/farmers tale.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom