Can someone tell me if I have hens, roos or both?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pikecochickens, Jun 1, 2012.

1. pikecochickens

pikecochickens In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    We are first time chicken owners. My children's third grade class had a chick incubator in their science class and they hatched chicks. We brought two home. They are Ameraucana's. We were told that we had one hen and one roo. The one on the left is supposed to be the hen. Can any of you tell me what you think? Both chickens have bumpy ridges on top of their beeks, but the one on the left is redder. The man who provided the chicks told the kids that when the chickens are about 4 weeks old, you can hold the roo upside down by his feet and he will fight to get upright. The hens will just stay there. Well, we tried it. The one we think is the roo (on the right) fought to get back upright and the one that we thought was a hen (on the left) just layed there. Is this a true indication or an old wives tale? [​IMG]

2. popsicle

popsicle Songster

I've heard experienced chicken owners swear by and other experienced chicken owners laugh at such methods.

I would have guessed that the roo was the one on the left with the brighter red comb.

3. JayLyn07

JayLyn07 In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Litchfield, New York
    I agree with Popsicle the one on left boy right girl.

4. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah you have a boy and a girl

5. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    im with everone else roo on left pullet on right

6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    x2

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I agree - roo is on the left as we are looking at the photo. Hen is on the right.

8. pikecochickens

pikecochickens In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    LOL! Okay everyone! Thank you! So I will switch their names Beatrice is now Phillip Fred and Phillip Fred is now Beatrice. :) haha!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

I agree. You have a male on the left and female on the right, though they are Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas. Cute ones, too!

That sexing thing is an old wives/farmers tale.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: