Can someone tell me what my babies are?

Ohio_Mama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
NW Ohio
I acquired these two babies when they were a couple of weeks old from a lady who didn't know anything about them but was desperate to get rid of them. Does anybody know what they are? I know absolutely nothing about ducks and had never planned on owning any but I love them anyway! Is there any way to tell the sex of them?
Thanks!
babies058.jpg

I don't know a thing about ducks... but they sure look cool (literally) in that swimming pool! If it was as hot in Ohio as it was in Arkansas today... those are some smart ducks!

Hello, they look like Pekin's to me. They look a little young to sex yet. A male will sound much more "raspy" when he quacks where a female will "quack". When they are older, a male will get a curl in his tail feather. They are really cute!! Have fun with them!

Yep, those are pekins. You can tell by the quack and then mostly by the tail curl at about 3 months old. Until then, kind of a guess! My pekin is the loudest one in my bunch and started quacking really early. I always worry that she wakes the neighborhood in the morning! Have fun, they're addictive!

I am thinking they probably aren't Pekins. I looked them up and it says they weight 8-10 lbs. My ducklings mama weighs around 3 lbs and daddy is 4-5. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

did the lady tell you who the parents were?

if so they are mixes then, maybe call mixes?? I dunno, they look like calls to me..
idunno.gif

I was able to see the parents when I picked up the ducklings. They look just like the ducklings and dad had a curled feather on it's tail. There wasn't anything else distinguishing about them. I guess it really doesn't matter what they are. I was just curious. I love them no matter what.
love.gif

I think Duckboys may be right. They look small and something isn't quite right about the head for a Peking.

What other type of duck is solid white? White Campbell?

Back
Top Bottom