Can someone tell me what sex this chick is?

sane chicken

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2017
I tried my hand at chick hatching because I have a French feathered foot cuckoo marans. I crossed him with my dark brahma hen. I have always heard that you can tell the boys from the girls by the spot on their heads. Well my daughter has me second guessing myself. Lol she said well mom would the dark brahma make a difference in the color. I know it gets sire colors and mama body type though. Well I have also noticed it has yellow legs which is not typical of the maran. In the pic she is one week old. Well I'm guessing a girl cause of the dark color and small white spot on her head. You can't see her legs but they are yellow and decently feathered already. I also noticed today she is beginning to get her tail in.

Attachments

• 20180429_202739.jpg
    20180429_202739.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180429_202739.jpg
    20180429_202739.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 6
I tried my hand at chick hatching because I have a French feathered foot cuckoo marans. I crossed him with my dark brahma hen. I have always heard that you can tell the boys from the girls by the spot on their heads. Well my daughter has me second guessing myself. Lol she said well mom would the dark brahma make a difference in the color. I know it gets sire colors and mama body type though. Well I have also noticed it has yellow legs which is not typical of the maran. In the pic she is one week old. Well I'm guessing a girl cause of the dark color and small white spot on her head. You can't see her legs but they are yellow and decently feathered already. I also noticed today she is beginning to get her tail in.
Looks like a female. If you post some pictures of her wings I can give a better answer. Just by looking at her peek looks like a girl.

sorry for this second post. The chick was darker when it was first born. I did notice the wings are a bit lighter this week.

As far as I know, sexing barred chicks only works if both parents are barred and even then only experienced people can tell.
The other way is to create black sex link chicks by crossing a gold based roo with a barred hen. The chicks from this cross will be solid black (female) and black with a white spot on the head (male).

This egg was also hatched from my roo, but it was a australorpe cross. She had the pale legs, but no feathered feet. She also had the darker color as a chick, and small white undefined head spot.

Attachments

• 20180429_221436.jpg
    20180429_221436.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 4
Usually when I get new chicks, I just wait for the crow, but unfortunately this was the only egg I had hatch out of my first try. So, this chick has now become part of my household! It has full run of the house until its friend arrives on Thurs. I can tell it's so lonely. I'm just so hoping it is a hen! I can't do another roo, as my roo is amazing, and we will all be just devastated if I have to send it to another farm! It's amazing how these tiny feather balls can get you so attached! It follows all of us around the house from room to room, and hangs out with me while I do dishes. Lol

Usually when I get new chicks, I just wait for the crow, but unfortunately this was the only egg I had hatch out of my first try. So, this chick has now become part of my household! It has full run of the house until its friend arrives on Thurs. I can tell it's so lonely. I'm just so hoping it is a hen! I can't do another roo, as my roo is amazing, and we will all be just devastated if I have to send it to another farm! It's amazing how these tiny feather balls can get you so attached! It follows all of us around the house from room to room, and hangs out with me while I do dishes. Lol
Aw, that is just too adorable! Be sure to take some pictures so you can look back and remember such a sweet and special time!

Back
Top Bottom