can soybeans be fed to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken garden lady, Oct 17, 2010.

1. chicken garden lady

chicken garden lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    Just wondering if soybeans can be fed to my chickens. I noticed the nearby field has alot of missed soybeans after their harvest. Also if chickens can eat them, do I need to worry about genetically engineered seed? Most of the farmers around here don't plow before seeding.

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not feed GMO roundup soybeans to my chickens.

My organic feed has roasted soy beans that are not sprayed with round up.

3. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

This is from the pamphlet "Pastured Poultry Nutrition", available from attra.org

"Raw soybeans should not be fed to poultry. When feeding soybeans to poultry, soybeans must be heat-treated to destroy a trypsin inhibitor that disrupts digestion. The presence of the trypsin inhibitors will also cause an enlarged pancreas (a 50-100% increase). The side affects will occur at inclusion levels as low as 5%."

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Intact seeds are high risk for crop bound condition.

5. chicken garden lady

chicken garden lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks for responding to my question. I'm really glad I asked before trying them.

6. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Quote:Absolute complete nonsense. What do you think free range chickens eat. I guess my chicken should be all dead. I feed them whole corn and sorgum.

7. powerline

powerline Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    According to the Mississippi State University School of Agriculture, chickens should have a diet full of corn and soybean.

8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    raw soybeans are not edible. and like someone said they need to be heat treated before being edible to any animal. and i would still be cautious feeding soybeans to animals because they affect the hormones in both humans and animals-mostly due to the way we process them to get their 'beneficial' properties . many people are now allergic to the use of soybeans in food and around other foods.

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Soy beans should be heat treated or expelled prior to using as a food.

Yes soybeans and corn are the backbone of the american diet (Both people and animals)

I personally avoid Soybeans in my families diet, so that means I avoid them in my livestocks diet. (It can be a real challenge virtually 100% of processed foods contain corn, soy or both...)

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by