Can Splash Silkies have the markings from day one?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feather leg farms, Aug 8, 2009.

1. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    We hatched out some eggs from Fowlrus. 4 showgirls and 2 silkies. The one silkie is white the
    ( other is white with black blue spots.) Can this be a splash.

2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Are the spots in a chipmunk stripe like pattern? If so you will either have a grey or partridge instead.

All my splash are hatched out a silverish white or light blue. They first get the darker feathers at a few weeks old.

3. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    No, they are spotted. We have hatched out many partridge and it looks nothing like it. It almost looks like a dalmation on top from head to tail. No stripes. Here is the picture. The spots don't show well. They are blue looking. There is no partridge coloring at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  4. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    My guess is either grey or partridge on that one. Give it a few weeks and see how it feathers out.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have got several silkie crosses that are spotted like that and they all have ended up with either a partridge or a buff color with "speckles". My kids call the dots on the head their hieroglphyics.

6. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Songster

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    hey! Not to hijack your thread, but last saturday I hatched a chick out and he looks exactly the same! yellow, with blue spots/stripe. I will post a pic, of him on day one. Since then, he has gotten more defined stripes. I have no idea what color he is. Got more pics today, but for some reason, my computer is acting wonkey and I cant upload. [​IMG] I will let you know when I can, so you can see him a week later. Not a great pic from last week, but you get the idea........ [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh, he is silkie too.....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  7. I'll post pics of my week old splash babies when I get home....

They are most definitely splash as you can see the spotting beginning to come through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: