1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can the egg Colour change with diet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickenkeeper, Apr 16, 2009.

1. thechickenkeeper

thechickenkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi there keepers, just a quick post to ask that question really. Can you change, or I should say tint the colour of the eggs, by feeding the hens coloured food? The reason I ask this somewhat strange question is that, I noticed today that manuella's eggs had a slight pink tinge to them, and it was only two days ago that she stopped eating the party food, which included a cake with very pink (fushia) icing, I'm wondering if this has made her eggs look slightly pink, hardly noticeable really, it was only when I put the eggs in the basket next to the previously layed eggs that I noticed this strange pink tinge.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Yes... grass/grains all change the yolk color from time to time, I would assume that food coloring from the icing would do the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by