Can the hatchery mark chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by first time farmer, Jan 24, 2010.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am ordering 25 chicks this spring and i would like to have one rooster. Can i have the hatchery mark the rooster some how so i know which chick it is.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hmmm...not sure - you could ask them. I'm curious though, why you want him marked? Is it because you will treat him differently, or just so that you "know". If the latter, you'll know in 2-3 weeks anyway, as you see his comb start to grow more than the others. And in the meantime, you'll have fun guessing. Keep in mind that sexing is only 90% accurate so of the 25 "females" you could get another male or two as well.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    they might iof you ask but I dont think they would remember with how busy they are.

I would order 2 roos just incase one turns out to be mean or if one was to get sick or die

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    A lot of hatcheries do that with the packing peanuts. Where are you ordering from? I'm sure they can mark the chick for you.

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    You might ask if they can put a little bit of dye on the cockerel, though that won't work with darker breeds. They are way too small for any of the bands a hatchery might have on hand, likely.

6. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    We ordered a large, complicated order from Ideal Hatchery last year (multiple breeds and sexes, to be split among 4 families), and they marked everyone accurately and clearly.

So yes, it definitely can be done, and should be easy as pie for any hatchery to mark one cockerel out of a group of pullet chicks, if they offer marking as a service.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes they will mark the cockerels for you. In the case of Ideal Hatchery, the color on the chick's head will correspond to a label on the box with the name of the breed. My buff brahma cockerel got a purple mark; the dark brahma got an orange mark.

8. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Hehehe my Welsummer roo had a pink/magenta mark on his cute little head.

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Meyer will mark with a band or on the box (if ordering many roosters) for 6 dollars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by