Can they do good with just free ranging and snacks

Unless they're getting what they need from a balanced chicken feed diet, no.

The seed blocks are for wild birds. Not chickens. They need chicken feed. Even if they're free ranging. Treats/scraps/anything other than chicken feed should make up no more than 10% of their diet.

Chicken feed is not very expensive most places. I would recommend buying a bag of Layer Feed or All Flock at your local feed store or TSC and give them free access to it. They should have access to their feed 24/7.
I just picked up some birds that were not fed regularly and they ate like there was no tomorrow for 3 days in a row. I was worried they were eating too much, but after they got their fill, it slowed down a quite a bit. Birds need the right nutrients to grow healthy and lay eggs. If you choose to get the All Flock, then you need to offer oyster shell on the side. 😊

Chicken feed is not very expensive most places. I would recommend buying a bag of Layer Feed or All Flock at your local feed store or TSC and give them free access to it. They should have access to their feed 24/7.
I just picked up some birds that were not fed regularly and they ate like there was no tomorrow for 3 days in a row. I was worried they were eating too much, but after they got their fill, it slowed down a quite a bit. Birds need the right nutrients to grow healthy and lay eggs. If you choose to get the All Flock, then you need to offer oyster shell on the side. 😊
Thank you so much this was a huge help and I will be buying everything needed to keep my chickens happy 😊

Feed them chick feed or grower, non medicated. layer feed just has the minimum protein they need. oyster shell on the side. Don't feed oatmeal, and keep treats to a minimum.
Ok thank you for the info! But what would be considered treats (fruits?), and what’s wrong with oatmeal I’ve been feeding it to them kinda often!😟

Ok thank you for the info! But what would be considered treats (fruits?), and what’s wrong with oatmeal I’ve been feeding it to them kinda often!😟
Your birds are old enough to be laying eggs.
I'll ask again...are they laying yet?

If not...they probably aren't getting a complete balanced diet.

Your birds are old enough to be laying eggs.
I'll ask again...are they laying yet?

If not...they probably aren't getting a complete balanced diet.
Not all of them are the same age but the youngest (the buff orp) is 4 months and 3 weeks old the Easter eggers are 5 months the 2 oldest are the roosters

You're welcome. scratch grains, seeds, yogurt, cheese, etc , basically anything that's not chicken feed is considered a treat, however I know people who consider fruits and veggies a treat, I'm not one of those people but vegetables and fruit should be given in moderation because they have 1. water and 2. fiber, too much and the chickens get 'the squirts' and it's a mess on their bum fluff and could attract flies. Scrambled eggs are a good treat, as long as there's no salt.
Oatmeal is very starchy, and could possibly cause crop issues, but every now and then won't hurt anyone. :] What part of az are in in?

Back
Top Bottom