Can they do good with just free ranging and snacks

Pics
The Cochins were the first chicks I got my attachment to these chickens are unreal 😂 the hens don’t mind it and it also discourages the guys from mating because I don’t see it very often anymore
I truly understand how amazing Cochins are (see my signature? 🤣)... Maybe you need a few more pullets then! Chicken math, right?

I have 6 chickens and they are all bantams except one Cornish cross. The chicks were started on some kind of food that Pratt’s Pets suggested, well that ran out and ever since then for about the last 5 months they have just been free-ranging in the yard and we give them treats like watermelon and oatmeal. Is this enough for them to be happy and healthy? If not what would I need to get them!
They need protein . Cottage cheese mixed with chopped up boiled eggs

I wasn’t being defensive just said oh really because I was surprised they don’t look unhealthy in anyway
I bought an underfed hen last fall. She was laying every day but she was so skinny! I picked her up and she weighed about two pounds! Now she's still a runt but heavier and much happier with real chicken food. That's why they make it. Chickens need it to be healthy.

Chicken feed is not very expensive most places. I would recommend buying a bag of Layer Feed or All Flock at your local feed store or TSC and give them free access to it. They should have access to their feed 24/7.
I just picked up some birds that were not fed regularly and they ate like there was no tomorrow for 3 days in a row. I was worried they were eating too much, but after they got their fill, it slowed down a quite a bit. Birds need the right nutrients to grow healthy and lay eggs. If you choose to get the All Flock, then you need to offer oyster shell on the side. 😊
That's how my hen was when I first got her. Scared to death of me and skinny as all get out.

Oh really! Maybe if you knew there breeds you could let me know if I’m wrong

buff orp bantam hen
2 Easter egger bantam hens
A Cornish cross
2 Cochin bantams
Layer feed is essential! And oyster shell.. That’s what my girls get along with carrots, celery, oats, apple, occasional bits of corn, garlic, fly grubs etc. I know this works cause 3 hens have been laying one egg a day, every day since before last Thanksgiving until today. The only down time was when one of the girls went broody and didn’t lay for 3 weeks. Twice. I have another 3 coming on line so they’ll be laying when older girls are molting, which is happening now.

Back
Top Bottom