Can they stay outside all the time now ??

Blob Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
I was wondering if my pair of 7 week old 'scovies can stay outside all the time now. For shelter they have a raised box with a towel and about 3 inches of shavings on the bottom.

Its around 10-13 celcius at night ,and warm enough during the day
tongue.png

I agree that they should be able to stay out as long as you have an enclosed area.
smile.png

And as for warmth, if they get too cold they always have each other to snuggle up to so they should be fine.
wink.png

The temperature does sound good - be on the watch for sudden drops, though. Here in New England even after a run of mild nights, it can drop down toward freezing.

Also, when others responded that they need to be enclosed, that means safe from any predators that may try to tear into them at night. Do you know what kinds of predators are in your area? Even sometimes neighbors' dogs can be a terror. I use a sturdy plywood shelter with half inch hardware cloth (it's a wire mesh - very heavy duty) over every opening, and locks on the doors (raccoons here are really ingenious at breaking in). I also have electric tape around the night pen.

What kind of shelter do you have?

BTW - my little nutballs don't cuddle. They'll sit bill to tail in a row along the outside wall. sigh.

Back
Top Bottom