Can this be accomplished?

cgmaster

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Thatcher,AZ
I want to create a new breed of chicken and this is what i have so far :
Silkauna

Silkaunas , currently a work in progress, will be derived from a cross between an ameraucana and a silkie and by being crossed back and forth between the two breeds will gain the unique combination of characteristics I am breeding for.

Disqualifications
Absence of crest. Feathers not truly silkie. Shanks not feathered down outer sides. Light patches of skin. light colored Comb and wattles. Vulture-hocks. Presence of ear tufts.

Scale of points
Symmetry………………………………………………………………………………………………..4
Size………………………………………………………………………………………………………4
Condition…………………………………………………………………………………………………4
Head and Beak-shape 3, color 5………………………………………………………………………8
Eye-shape 1, color 2…………………………………………………………………………………....3
Comb and Crest-comb 5, crest 10…………………………………………………………………...15
Wattles and Earlobes…………………………………………………………………………………...6
Neck-shape 4, color 4………………………………………………………………………………….8
Wings-shape 3, color 3………………………………………………………………………………....6
Back-shape 4, color 4…………………………………………………………………………………..8
Tail-shape 4, color 4…………………………………………………………………………………….8
Breast-shape 3, color 3………………………………………………………………………………...6
Body and fluff- shape 3, color 3………………………………………………………………………..6
Legs and Toes…………………………………………………………………………………………..8
Texture of Plumage……………………………………………………………………………………..6
100​
Shape of Male
Head: Relatively broad and medium size
Face: Nearly hidden by muffs and crest
Beak: strong, curved
Eyes: expressive, relatively large
Comb and crest: pea, fairly small, higher in center than in front or rear ;crest , soft and full, as upright as comb will permit, falling gracefully backward
Wattles and Earlobes: wattles very small preferably absent; earlobes, small, oval
Neck: Well arched, medium length
Hackle: Full, abundant, flowing well over the shoulders and nearly meeting at front of neck.
Wings: Fairly large, tips carried above the hock joint, fronts concealed by hackle. , the primaries and secondaries have a ragged, fringe-like appearance
Back: Medium length, broad, carried slightly elevated at the shoulders.
Muffs and Beard: Full, well-rounded, medium length, forming three separate lobes.
Tail: Well spread, medium length, carried at 45º above horizontal, main feathers having a ragged fringe-like appearance
Breast: Prominent, well-rounded.
Saddle: Medium in length, abundant, providing smooth transition to angle of tail.
Body and Fluff:Body of medium length , fluff full and abundant
Legs and toes: Thighs, , Medium length, set apart, four toes, straight and well spread, well furnished with silkie fluff; shanks, , feathered on outside with silky plumage; outer toes feathered
Size: No more or less than 6 ½ pounds

Shape of female
Head: Relatively broad, and medium size
Beak: Strong, curved
Eyes: Expressive, relatively large
Comb and crest: Pea, small;crest , small, globular, erect
Wattles and Earlobes:very small, preferably absent; small, oval
Neck: medium length, slightly arched
Wings: Fairly prominent, carried well-folded and above the hock joint , the primaries and secondaries have a ragged, fringe-like appearance
Back: Medium length, relatively broad, slightly elevated at the shoulders.
Muffs and beard: Full, well-rounded, medium length, forming 3 separate lobes.
Tail: Medium length, well spread, carried at 45º angle above horizontal, main feathers having a ragged fringe-like appearance
Breast: full, well rounded
Body and Fluff: full but trim , fluff full and abundant
Legs and toes: Thighs, , Legs set well apart, medium length, four toes, straight and well spread.well furnished with silkie fluff; shanks, , feathered on outside with silky plumage; outer toes feathered
Plumage: soft, silky, webless.
Size: No more than 5 ½ pounds

Color of male and Female
Beak: blue
Eyes:
Comb and face: dark purple, almost black
Wattles and earlobes: Wattles,dark purple, almost black. Earlobes Turquoise
Shanks and toes: leaden-blue
Plumage:

Obviously it isnt finished. But any feedback is apreciated

I did know actually, but i already have too many rooster to hens. and i don't have the money to buy any more chickens or the room (other than what i plan to hatch this spring). And i couldnt bear to get rid of the majority of my chickens. Theres only one i would be willing to get rid of at the moment (my scraggly pet quality silkie rooster) The reason for the extreemly limited funds is that I turned 16 last month and hav'nt found a job yet, between school, chores, my animals and church i have no time to earn money. Maybe if i hatch enough i can sell some and get some money and save up for some of those ameraucanas. Do you know how much they cost?
Sorry for rambling on.

Nope, you'd have to ask a breeder on that thread.

I understand you're attached to your birds, but as a breeder you're going to have to accept a need to get rid of the majority of the chicks you hatch out. You have to cull hard to your breed standard, and your first generation really aren't going to have value when selling, they'll be mixed breed birds. This is a long project ahead of you.

well i can afford to be attatched to my birds that i currently have (6 of which used to be my great grandpas( 1 of which is a descendent of my original flock) 2 i raised from chicks and 1 i got from the neighbor( shes one of my best layers right now) im getting 5 show quality chickens from my great grandpa soon) Im mostly hatching to get more layers ATM some of my hens are who knows how old so i wanna have some hatched just in case, mostly they will be easter eggers, silkie mixes or pure silkie. The hen that is a descendent of mine is an easter egger that lays a light brown egg and has some silkie features but may or may not have the silkie gene

I understand you're attached to your birds, but as a breeder you're going to have to accept a need to get rid of the majority of the chicks you hatch out. You have to cull hard to your breed standard, and your first generation really aren't going to have value when selling, they'll be mixed breed birds. This is a long project ahead of you.
If you can't cull most of your birds while doing a breeding project, then you should not start one. You don't have to kill them but you will need to at least sell them to make room for the next generation and pay for feed.

I don't know what a silkie feathered Ameraucana sells for but you will be farther ahead financially (even if it takes a year or two) to buy them. Your feed bill to get your current birds breed into what you desire will cost hundreds if not thousands and take years.

I can cull as many as i need to. That is once i get to hatching. If i could find at least one silkied ameraucana hen i could start this with more diverse genes (at least on the silkie end)
If you can't cull most of your birds while doing a breeding project, then you should not start one.  You don't have to kill them but you will need to at least sell them to make room for the next generation and pay for feed.  

I don't know what a silkie feathered Ameraucana sells for but you will be farther ahead financially (even if it takes a year or two) to buy them.  Your feed bill to get your current birds breed into what you desire will cost hundreds if not thousands and take years.

I want the dark skin, feathered legs, and topknot of the silkie, the bodyshape of an ameraucana and the blue eggs not nescesarily the 5th toe though...

Back
Top Bottom