Can turkeys be housed with chickens, ducks and geese?

Quote:
No no one has turkeys around here. I actually had a hard time finding any turkeys. I have always wanted them but could never find any. I usually get my chickens as young babies, but on occasion I do buy some adult birds. Do you think bringing in new adult birds into my flock has brought blackhead with them?

Quote:
I lock my birds up at night in my building that I have for them and then let them run out in the fenced in area that I have for them. The fenced in area is about 2-3 times the size of the building. Do you still think I could be getting ammonia poision from housing them in at night?

Quote:
I lock my birds up at night in my building that I have for them and then let them run out in the fenced in area that I have for them. The fenced in area is about 2-3 times the size of the building. Do you still think I could be getting ammonia poision from housing them in at night?

No, as long as there is good ventilation. I missunderstood your second post. I thought they were always in the building.

Last edited:
I would never keep them in the building all of the time. I know I would hate being cooped up in a building, so I don't keep my birds cooped up. I finally fixed up a dog kennel for the two turkey that I have left. I am going to wait until tomorrow to put them in it. These two are still living so cross your fingers.

I would have to say out of all of my birds, my turkeys are my favorites. Every morning, when I go out to let the birds out of the barn, the turkeys are the first to greet me. I am so happy with my turkeys, I would like to get some more but I want to solve this riddle about turkeys dying first.

My birds as of now don't show any sign of sickness, so I am hoping that the turkeys that I have now will be safe.

If the problem was blackhead, will I still have it in the barn, or does it go away with time?

I found this info on another websight. I'm not sure what the treatment(seems they are preventative rather than cure) is by reading this and other articles or even if there is one.
Black head

Blackhead (Histomoniasis, Enterohepatitis)

Birds affected
Birds affected are: turkeys, peafowl, guinea fowl, pheasant and chickens

Blackhead is an acute or chronic protozoan disease of fowl, primarily affecting the cecae and liver. called Histomonas meleagridis

The disease is present wherever poultry are raised
It is a parasite organism called a protozoa, and is a distant cousin of the coccidia parasite
For the disease to spread amongst fowl the flock must also be infected with the caecal worm
This worm survives in the fowl yard soil, earthworms
This disease affects the large intestine, then attacks the liver
The chooks bowl is eaten by the parasite and then it attacks the liver
When the chooks die their heads go black, hence the name

Turkeys:
Blackhead is one of the critical diseases of growing turkeys and game birds
It is carried by an intestinal parasite and the symptoms are:- loss of condition, drowsy appearance, ruffled feathers, and diarrhoea, sometimes mixed with blood.
It may cause stunted growth, poor feed utilization and death.

It is of lesser economic importance in chickens since they are more resistant, but the incidence in chickens apparently is increasing

Occasionally the caruncles of the turkey may become dark blue or purple (hence the name black head)

If you have an outbreak, dead birds and their droppings must be burned
All utensils should be disinfected daily and, where possible, quick lime should be applied to the run

To prevent an outbreak, Turkeys should not be run with fowls, and young turkeys should not be run in contact with adult birds

If this is not possible, then chicks and hens should be kept on clean dry, well-drained pasture and move about frequently

Symptoms
Birds develop foamy yellow diarrhoea and sit huddled up
They appear depressed and ill
They stop eating and get very thin
Increased thirst
Droopiness
Drowsiness
Darkening of the facial region
The birds can be so ill, that their wattle and comb goes blue (thus the name blackhead)
If not treated the birds usually die
Any sulphur coloured foamy droppings should be considered as blackhead, even if the bird is not showing any other signs of the disease
Blackhead acts as an immune suppressor, which will allow other diseases to have greater effect on your bird’s health
It may cause stunted growth

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom