Can u tell if male or female? Black Shoulder chicks 1 to 2 months

peafowlmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Summerville ,SC
I have a lady who is trying to get a female. On another thread we are trying to study our birds so we will be able to identify in the future, but if someone can help me now I would really appreciate it. I told her I wouldn't sell either w/out telling her their sex first. Picture 2 and 4 same bird, picture 1 and 3 same bird, sorry about my messy uploading.

Last edited:
My IB Black Shoulder was obviously sexable at 4 weeks old, he's 6 weeks old now, and there's a large amount of dark feathers covering his whole back. Here's pics, you can click them to enlarge if you need.

4 weeks:

6 weeks:

It's a little hard to tell, and I am by no means an expert (this is my first and only black shoulder chick), but yours don't look quite as dark as Olav here does, so I would guess both female. Don't quote me though! I don't wanna get in trouble! :) They're certainly both adorable!!! I'm interested to see what the pro's here on the forum think, as well.

Last edited:
I just got this 8 week old peachick. I'm wondering if were able to tell is he's a peahen or a peacock. He also keeps breathing funny. This is the first time I've ever had a peacock so I have many questions. I gave him/her some antibiotics in its water but its still breathing funny. it just opens and closes its mouth repeatedly like its breathing hard.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Can you take your cute little guy to a vet?
It looks like his nostril is plugged up, and his face is swollen as though he has a sinus infection.
Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give you some more concrete advice, and you will likely get more/better advice if you start a new thread.

thank you! I live in the city so there isn't a vet that works with fowl around here. I'll start a new thread and see what I get.

It looks like he has a respiratory infection and for that you should give him oral or injectable antibiotics. I bet there are plenty of vets in LA that will see peafowl, just search for avian and exotic vets and I bet you'll find one.

If you don't get it to a vet or start it on proper antibiotics there is a very good chance it will die.

-Kathy

So, this guy was recommended to me by the receptionist at our great bird vet in Santa Barbara (when I called with a weekend emergency).
But please note that I have no personal experience with him, and when I called they seemed quite expensive.
http://drmolnardvm.com/

*Sorry, I should have said that he's in Calabasas.

Last edited:
It looks like he has a respiratory infection and for that you should give him oral or injectable antibiotics. I bet there are plenty of vets in LA that will see peafowl, just search for avian and exotic vets and I bet you'll find one.

If you don't get it to a vet or start it on proper antibiotics there is a very good chance it will die.

-Kathy
Agreed
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom