Can U tell me how to sex buff orp. and balck giants??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newnanchic, Apr 2, 2008.

1. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I am going to our local feed store tommorow and she has buff orpington and black giants from somone local . Is there an easy way to tell which ones are pullets??? Thay are about 4-5 days old. And also she will have Mallard ducks Is there any way I could figure out those so I could get a pair??? Thanks for any help!!!!

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Id have to say vent sexing on the baby chicks is the only way at that age on those breeds, however by around 5-6 weeks in most cases you can tell the roo's by there comb. They generally are a bit larger and more in red color than the hens.

couldnt say on the ducks

Charlie

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Last time I tried a surefire way of sexing day olds from an old wives tale I grew out 5 Roosters from 8 chicks.... Day olds are a toss up unless the bin says pullets [​IMG]

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    When hatching BO & watching them grow I noticed the the girls grew tale feathers first: roos were weeks later!

5. newnanchic

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Thanks for the info... I am going to the feed store tommorow !!!!!

6. newnanchic

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Speckle hen don't you have buff orpingtons?? Please any advice given would be greatly apperciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by