can u use a.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StrayMagnet, Jul 15, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Old fishtank as a incubator? I mean if you can keep it warm in thre for Reptiles. why not for eggies. like the bottom with a soft towl or soil to Simulate a nest. run your light and such in it

I have a old fishtank and it be neat to use that, then i'd not have to worrie about peeking as i'd have a 100% view at all times. and thank god i have a HUGE garden tub. that I can use for a brooder after they are a ilttle bigger LOL. just currious.. as I'm planning on somday attempting to hatch eggs.. thought it be fun. esp with all the breeds out there.
    I'd love love love to hatch a couple silkies.

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    i used a cardboard box so you'll be fine. You'll need a lid on the fish tank to keep the heat in. You dont even need anything to simulate a nest. Just make sure you have adequate air flow so keep part of the top open just a little. Other than that it should be fine.

3. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    Just hatched these two blue silkies yesterday[​IMG]

4. Fleezie

Fleezie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    You can use a tank, but you will use alot more money in electricity. Reptile are incubated in the 80's so there requirments are different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by