Can we build it? Yes we can... probably... kind of!

Pics
Ditto Dat^^^

That works for me! The girls came over this afternoon to tend to my chickens, and I asked their mom how the roof held up after the REALLY severe storm we had the other day. She said it survived! So that's a good sign, right?

The girls are so excited. We're on day 14 of the incubation so by this time next Saturday, they should have some babies of their own. But they still enjoy marching my flock around the property and helping them "look for worms." Lol!

Oh no, we built the coop on their property. There's no way we'd be able to move this thing ourselves, haha!

We live in a stuffy HOA community anyway, and they'd never "permit" us to build something in our yard. Our chickens/coop are actually across the street from our house on a 10 acre property that we bought specifically so I could keep my chickens. Hoping to save enough money this year to start building a house on the property and get out of this neighborhood. Since we built the coop, maybe we could even build the house ourselves! Hah! Just kidding. Not a chance.
Youtube probably has videos for DIY house builders. Youtube knows everything! Youtube is your friend! :thumbsup

Not a dumb question, but on one side I used a jig saw and on the other side I used a reciprocating saw. I've seen people use circular saws as well.
I made a vid of my coop build. Just click the "My Coop" link next to my profile pic. You'll see me cut one side of the panel in the video.
I used a line level to mark a line on the panel before cutting it.
Circular saw with the blade turned backward does a fine job.

Problem with getting the nails out is that the roofing material is probably not strong enough to lever a hammer or nail puller against without cracking....especially if nail is thru the top of the 'hill'.

As whether to fasten corrugated roofing thru the hill or the valley is about like asking why the chicken crossed the road. :lol:
I figure the only shot at pulling the nail w/o breaking the panel is to use a piece of 1/4" scrap wood across the ridges to pry against.
FWIW...I built a deer blind using corrugated steel panels over plywood for the roof. I used washered hex-head screws in the "valleys". I was later told by someone who should know that I should have gone through the "peaks" instead.

Thanks! We’re trying, haha! There are two windows on the front of the coop and two on the back, so you get a nice cross breeze. You can’t see it in the pictures I posted, but there’s also a window in the coop door (just like the run door.) The plan only called for the two front windows, but in Florida you need more ventilation than that, so we added the back windows. The little foam pieces underneath the roof also have ventilation holes in them, so I’m hoping that’ll help.
There should be a link in your profile section for your articles and a button to create article. I pop between desktop ion mobile views so it's in a different spot on each.

Going to get really sappy now. Inspiration. Reminding me there are good people out in this world. Giving those kids something they may never have had the chance at. Thank you :hugs phew! I must be fixin to go broody!

The girls are so excited. We're on day 14 of the incubation so by this time next Saturday, they should have some babies of their own. But they still enjoy marching my flock around the property and helping them "look for worms." Lol!

That is so awesome and sweet of you and your hubby to build that for those girls! They will never forget it.

Day - I don't know at this point. I've lost track.

Anywho, today was the first day this week that we've been able to get out to our friend's house to continue working on the coop project. We're so close, I can feel it!

We finished up the trim work and I used the last of the gallon to paint around the poop tray area inside the coop, and I plan on whitewashing the rest of the interior (hopefully) tomorrow. We got the solar pop door wired up... and it works! Exciting, right?

While my husband was working on the solar door, I made a little ramp for the chicks out of scrap wood and painted it. I think they plan on putting the chicks outside to brood within 2-3 weeks after hatching (with a heat plate) so the ramp can stay up until they can hop in and out on their own. I also made a little roost bar for the run from scrap wood.

Last night, we picked up a used tire (for free, that's as first for this project, haha!) and I plan on spray painting it and filling with wood ash/sand/DE etc for a little dust bathing area.

The only things left to do are small projects at this point. We still have to put a hardware cloth apron around the run, put up the PVC pipe feeders (which I bought and assembled this evening - three 3" pipes for the feeders, and two 1 1/2 inch pipes for free choice grit and oyster shell. And then there's the waterer. I ended up buying a Drink Stick Automatic Poultry Waterer from Stromberg's Chickens. The plan is to bury a hose and hook it up to that. I used to have a Chicken Fountain and LOVED it, but they don't make them anymore, so that was disappointing.

You can see in the pictures that the bottom of the coop is dirty from the really bad 12+ hour downpour that we had over the weekend. But the roof stayed on! Also, the run and surrounding area is a little muddy - nothing terrible, but it definitely doesn't drain as well as my property. I'm thinking of getting a truckload of sand to put in the run to help with drainage. Thoughts? Is there a better material that would help?

IMG_1163.jpeg

IMG_1168.jpeg

IMG_1166.jpeg

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1169.jpeg

IMG_1170.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1167.jpeg
    IMG_1167.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1165.jpeg