Can we build it? Yes we can... probably... kind of!

I just hope it won't leak.
If you use the appropriate hardware properly, they shouldn't leak. I also recommend using some form of barrier between the roof wood (roof deck) and the roof panel. For instance, I used tarp material that I got from Lowes. It covers wood during shipping (to the store) and they just throw it out, so they'll give it to you for free.
I stapped it down to the roof deck and installed the roof panels over it.
As for the jigsaw, using too much force with a jigsaw could easily break the blade. Much patience is required.

If you use the appropriate hardware properly, they shouldn't leak. I also recommend using some form of barrier between the roof wood (roof deck) and the roof panel. For instance, I used tarp material that I got from Lowes. It covers wood during shipping (to the store) and they just throw it out, so they'll give it to you for free.
I stapped it down to the roof deck and installed the roof panels over it.
As for the jigsaw, using too much force with a jigsaw could easily break the blade. Much patience is required.
Patience? But we want it NOW! Sigh ...

I believe the OP installed the roofing panels directly to the rafters ...

You are correct! There's no plywood. Should there be? We mostly chose a non shingled roofing option to save ourselves from having to try to put plywood up on the roof. And also... we don't know how to shingle a roof, so there's that, haha!

You are correct! There's no plywood. Should there be? We mostly chose a non shingled roofing option to save ourselves from having to try to put plywood up on the roof. And also... we don't know how to shingle a roof, so there's that, haha!
Corrugated roofing needs either a plywood backing or furring strips that run perpendicular to the rafters. Corrugated gets nailed to the furring strips.
Something like this:
upload_2019-1-25_17-44-59.png

For shingles ... yes, definitely need a plywood type base first ... with what you used you could just as easily lay down some 1"X4"'s or "firring strips" (1"X2 3/4") sideways, from one end to the other to form a cross hatch look, and then secure the corrugated roofing to them, this would firm up the roofing, and it won't flex, and possibly wear the screws (or nails) in the roofing.

Think about the roofing as a card board box ... take and cut off a flap ... try to bend it opposite the ribs ... much harder than if you go with the "grain" or along the ribs ...

With wind it could get "floppy" ... I doubt you will get enough rain to make it sag, as their is enough pitch (angle) for the water to run off ... like I said earlier ... if you lived in snow country ... it would probably collapse.

ETA ... I see @aart beat me to it ... great picture! While I typed slowly on my phone! ;)

You are correct! There's no plywood. Should there be?

Repeat of what they said with somne extra...
You're just south of me in FL (I think), so I'm guessing you've been through hurricanes. Irma did a number on my neighborhood and another will be here someday. Best to be ready.
That being said, if you nailed those panels down to each rafter in rows about 1' to 2' apart, you'll probably be ok.
However, extremely strong winds may see if their way. Their way may expose the chickens.

Repeat of what they said with somne extra...
You're just south of me in FL (I think), so I'm guessing you've been through hurricanes. Irma did a number on my neighborhood and another will be here someday. Best to be ready.
That being said, if you nailed those panels down to each rafter in rows about 1' to 2' apart, you'll probably be ok.
However, extremely strong winds may see if their way. Their way may expose the chickens.

Oh yes, we've been through our share of hurricanes. Thankfully we've never had any damage, but that's not to say that it can't happen. We're about an hour north of Orlando, right in the middle of the state. I think that helps when it comes to wind, but if we got a strong enough storm, I'm not sure we'd get a free pass anymore.

I think it would be easy enough to remove the nails and put down a couple of cross strips. That wouldn't cause any issues with leaking if we put the nails back in the same holes afterwards, would it?

Back
Top Bottom