Can we eat chickens who just up & die?

GiddyMoon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Can we? I can't imagine our forefathers wasting the bird.
tongue.png

I would not eat it and I would hope that you didn't eat it either. If you found a dead bunny or other animal on the side of the road would you eat it? LOL, I sure hope not.

Actually, I come from a long line of people who if they found warm dead fresh roadkill.....
cool.png

Heck yes they would take it home and eat it. I don't want "opinions" I want true answers from people who really know chickens. If you have a healthy bird who all of a sudden dies from being egg bound or something else and you find your own bird, that you know what it has been eating.....

Last edited:
* Can we eat chickens who just up & die?

You can if you want to take the risk of contacting whatever it died from.

Now we used to eat chickens that just up and died when my mother in law came for a visit cuz they just did that when they saw her comin. However I wouldn't just eat a chicken that was fine one minute and dead the next (well that is how the chickens my mother in law scared to death died, but I mean when she weren't there) unless I knew what killed them. Fact is my wife used to jus say we're havin chicken for dinner tomorrow and I knew her mother was comin.
gig.gif
I used to hide my favorites when I knew she were comin.

Might be something contagious. Hope you life insurance is paid up.

Rancher

Last edited:
Too funny Hicks! lol

That's what I mean..of course you wouldn't want to eat a sick bird..but it would shock me if our ancestors did not find a way to make use of the bird.

Back
Top Bottom