Can we safely eat this turkey?

PattySh

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Cambridge,VT
I have a young male Narragansett tom that had a respiratory illness over 2 months ago. Not sure what it was only 2 birds affected, 2nd one recovered fully. He was on meds but I haven't given him anything for a month now. He has one slight swelling on one side of his face that never went away so I don't want to chance him back with the girls. I bought a new tom this weekend. So my question is, is he safe to eat. No discharge of any kind, and he has been acting normally for a month just the minor swelling didn't leave on one side of his face (it's about the size of a kidney bean (was huge!). He is eating and drinking well, his color is good, eyes clear and he is active. Hate to just euthanize him but will if it isn't safe to eat him.

Quote:
I would
smile.png

Welll... you see, with the economy like it is... ummm... no, I don't eat the heads and I was teasing. But the cats steal them and eat them.
roll.png

Quote:
When i was a kid i convinced my buddy the best meat on a fish was the cheek meat. He tried many times to get the cheek meat to no avail
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
Really, do you normally eat turkey heads?
hmm.png
or are you teasing
roll.png

Some people do. When I went to Hungary, the first meal I had was a bowl of chicken Paprikash with the chicken head in my bowl. I was told it was an honor to recieve the head.

My grandmother would always say that she couldn't make her Paprikash without the the chicken feet.
lol.png

Quote:
Really, do you normally eat turkey heads?
hmm.png
or are you teasing
roll.png

Some people do. When I went to Hungary, the first meal I had was a bowl of chicken Paprikash with the chicken head in my bowl. I was told it was an honor to recieve the head.

My grandmother would always say that she couldn't make her Paprikash without the the chicken feet.
lol.png

The feet are actually high in colagen and are good for you. But I never ate one. Do you ever wonder if it's actually an honor to get something in the food, or do they just say it is and laugh behind our back if we actually eat it?
big_smile.png

Quote:

lol.png

The feet are actually high in colagen and are good for you. But I never ate one. Do you ever wonder if it's actually an honor to get something in the food, or do they just say it is and laugh behind our back if we actually eat it?
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
look at the American eating the head yuck yuck.

Admit it, if you could get somebody to eat something strange and make them think it's an honor so they felt obligated to eat it... wouldn't you jump on the chance?
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom