can we use the creek and dig a pond?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by key west chick, Jul 27, 2011.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    So we are looking, again, at some land. This 1 is nearly 13 acres with a creek bordering the back and 1 side property line. At 1 point, the whole creek goes way onto this land, forming a giant u before running the property line again. Is it possible to dig out this u and create a small pond? The creek continues to flow down the side property line, then the back property line.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:In a word yes - may not be able to have ducks in it because it will continue to flow, but we did that when we had a creek running through the yard. Used a back hose and made us a swimming hole.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You may have to check your counties guidelines, they often have regulations about diverting water, changing it's path ...... etc.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:x2

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Uggg, didnt think about that.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well, if the property was in South Florida you could blame it on a sink hole....... [​IMG]

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    The neighbors have a spring about 4 feet off our land. We got a dozer and dug a big pond out, and the neighbors had a FIT! We told them that if they could keep the water from running downhill, they could do what they wanted. And we dug the pond about 100 yards away from the spring. As far as changing the flow of the water, as long as it comes on your property and leaves your property the same way it used to, it shouldn't matter what you do with it on your land. That's our thinking. But, seems that we are the crazy neighbors. Cool![​IMG]

8. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    if you did that, you would also need state fishing license to fish

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    As far as changing the flow of the water, as long as it comes on your property and leaves your property the same way it used to, it shouldn't matter what you do with it on your land.

Tell that to the Federal judge when they charge you with destroying a natural waterway​

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:As long as you are not changing the path an you are just digging deeper you should be good. Ga does have a law about having over so much lose soil showing at one time. Don't remember the numbers though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by