Can you believe this Craigslist ad??

I appreciate our new member's open and tactful reply. He is resourceful and offers a method for utilizing unwanted birds.

This forum allows for and embraces divergent opinions. This thread addresses a significant issue with urban (and, not-so-urban) flocks. I've seen other threads with less substantial topics sustained with no end in sight. This has addressed unwanted birds, humane treatment, methods of use, and alternate dog food, as well as, it brought us a new member.

Kudos to this thread, BYC and ThomasMoore.

While this may be difficult for many (including myself), the dispatching of birds is done everyday. It seems that many of us believe if we don't talk about it or see it in writing, it doesn't happen. If you eat chicken, then you must embrace the fact that the birds are killed, plucked and eaten.

This gentleman is offering to do that for folks who cannot find a home for their roosters. We would all love to think that our roosters end up in a loving home with their own little flock of hens, but that is just not the case. Consider that 50% of all birds hatched are males...

I wish there was someone near me that offered this as a service. I've always been able to find homes for my boys, but that may not always be the case and I just cannot do it myself.
hmm.png

i like how this guy says he is vague on what he dos so the children dont have to know what happens to there pet.....but what happens if they want to come visit the pet?

if ppl keep discussing this thread (wether like it or not) it will bump the thread up giving this guy more advertisement. i personally think its a great idea.

Quote:
ep.gif
... awww baby hatchery birds

Heritage chicks are not sexed... you get what comes your way and deal with the roo's later! pretty pretty roos...
smile.png
I know... I got more than my share this year!

Last edited:
Quote:
lol i buy bantys so i dont get the choice of letting hatcheries grind them up(i buy from meyer anyway and they have a number in the back of the catalog where you can adopt leftover unwanted roosters for free of course dont gvet a breed choice just whateveer they have left in the bator)

I think this is an absolutely wonderful idea. It's resourceful and helps to solve a problem. I think a lot of folks are getting into chicken keeping (and that's great) with the same preconceived notions as owning a dog or a cat and that just isn't the case. The first rooster I dispatched, if I had this as an option, I may never have worked up the gull to do myself. I had allowed it to become a family pet and it was difficult to do what needed to be done. This guy is helping to eliminate that difficulty and thereby making poultry an option to more folks in his area.

Now that I've done it a few times, it's not all that hard. I was actually thinking about building a tractor for meaties, but maybe I'll try to collect some roos with a CL add. Incidentally, another chicken guy I know would take a hot stove if he could get his hands arms around it. Most roos end up at his place. Everybody know I eat them now.

This is a good post. this guy is doing a service that alot of chicken raisers will not do themelves.
last year i searched cl all the time and picked any free roosters. my hands were so soar from plucking and my wife was tired of helping. this year we hatched more and i am glad we did because this year there has hardly been any listings

Back
Top Bottom