Can you breed it?

dustinleephil

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Kentucky
I'd just like to know what breed of rooster this is.

He was pretty young in this picture. He has a little more yellow orange on him now. I'll see if I can get a recent picture.

His head has the look of a Wheaten/ Black Copper Marans Marans mix, but the yellow legs and his type (the shape of his body conformation) seems more Americauna, IMO. I think he possibly might be an Olive Egger. (That's what you get when you mix a blue/ green egg layer with a brown egg layer for Olive green eggs. They are really pretty and can be sold for upward of $10. a dozen.)

He definitely has some Wheaten signs in his genes- I see a cinnamon patch of feathers at his wing tip- a strong sign. Also, the white fluff at his tail base is also a sign. The yellow, unfeathered legs are the strongest sign that he is mixed with something else. Wheaten Marans have light gray feathered legs. Black Copper Marans medium slate gray with pink underneath.

How old is he?

To test if he has Marans blood, you would take an Easter Egger/ Americauna hen (Wheaten based layer of blue/ green eggs) and mate him. Grow the chicks outs, and see if he darkened his daughter's eggs, making them oilve. If you mixed him with a RIR (they also have a Wheaten base), then he might just darken the brown of an egg if he has Marans.

Test mating is never fast, but you will get the most reliable results than guessing. Best to you!

He's around two I think. He's my in laws rooster. They have speckled Sussex hens and I just thought he was really pretty. When their hens started setting he got really aggressive. I didn't know if it had anything to do with his breed or what.

It's not looking as though he has Speckled Sussex in there.

If he's getting aggressive he should be carefully watched and monitored as he may need culling if he gets out of hand. It's possible he may just be doing his job and being protective during setting, as I see a cute dog running around. Is he handled and socialized well with humans?

All of the Marans roosters I have had have been pretty docile, with very lovely personalities- they are more lovers than fighters... but family orientated, and always great with hens. Heard of some other people who have had theirs become aggressive. Have no first hand experiences with blue egg layers roosters. One of our 8lb Marans was beaten up by our 1 3/4 lb OEGB bantam in my avatar when he got out of his pen once. He whimpered all the way back to his pen. lol Definitely, at least some are wimps. lol

Last edited:
He looks like a hatchery Partridge Rock.

Both the Partridge Rock and the Copper Maran should have "red" in there wing bow area but this bird may have black bread into him and in turn blocking that color.

Back
Top Bottom