1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you Breed them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChucktheChick, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Can you breed chickens with ducks? Like if your ducks and chickens were in the same pen and your rooster mated wih your duck and you would put the duck eggs in the bator and it would come out half chicken half duck or the same but with duck daddy and hen momma?? Thanks everybody!

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I wondered that. I'm pretty sure its impossible.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ya I was pretty sure of that too. Just wondering because that would be pretty awesome!

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Yeah, if it was possible, I'm pretty sure someone would have done it!

5. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    You would get Chucks.
    :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    No you can't. If a drake breeds with a chicken it can kill her. The 2 species are not anatomically compatible. They should only be kept together with care and an alternative needs to be available in case there is a problem. Unless you don't care about losing a chicken.

7. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    X2.
    I've had drakes severely maul and almost kill hens and a young roo who were too slow to escape them. Needless to say, those drakes are no longer with us. OP, if you wonder about why they're not anatomically compatible, google male duck reproductive system. It becomes obvious rather quickly.

8. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Roosters don't have penises. Drakes do. Duck hens and chicken hens therefor, aren't made the same internally either and aren't compatible with the other. I've housed a drake with my hens before with no problem. He had 2 duck hens to himself. He didn't bother the chickens. Except the rooster. He tried to kill him. That's why I don't have him anymore.

9. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    More than anatomically incompatible, they are genetically incompatible. They are totally different species. They can't interbreed any more than you could have a child with an orangutan.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. Freakmonger

Freakmonger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Woodinville Washington
    So how does the liger work out. "Its pretty much my favorite animal. Its like a lion and a tiger mixed - bred for its skills in magic"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by