Can you cross different kinds of polish and what will they look like?

Oh, believe me Aubrey - I'm not a geneticist either!!! LMAO!!! But I think we've sorta "hijacked" the OP's thread, so I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I think I got ya on the dun and blue crosses - you were crossing them to bbr's and such - my mistake!!! I don't know anything about those colors, so I won't even TRY to pretend I do!!! LOL!

But, I CAN tell you that in order to get a double factor barred roo, the parents must both be barred. So that rooster that gave you 5-10% solid dun may not be a double factor after all - did you breed him? Did he come from two barred parents? If so, then you got me there. I was under the impression that a double factor barred rooster would produce 100% barred offspring, no matter what color his mate was.

Here are a few equations you might want to save - I'll use "blue" here for Andalusian blue, but its interchangeable with dun, and "splash" is interchangeable with khaki:

black x blue = 50% black, 50% blue
black x splash = 100% blue
blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash

So single factor Andalusian blue is visually blue - double factor Andalusian blue is visually splash. Same with dun - single factor is dun, double is khaki. Splits to Andalusian blue/splash or dun/khaki are not genetically possible, so nope, those black cuckoos you got from your blues and duns won't produce anything but black cuckoos (and/or black) if you breed them together.

HOWEVER... Lavender is a completely different gene from Andalusian blue and dun - some call it (lavender) "self blue", but I find that terribly confusing, so I'll only call it lavender. Like Andalusian blue, it has nothing whatsoever to do with sex, but UNLIKE Andalusian blue and dun, lavender is recessive and CAN be carried AND it can also be visual. A single factor lavender is a split, and cannot be identified visually. A double factor lavender is visually lavender. When only one parent is a visual lavender, the offspring is *guaranteed* to be split. Here are some equations involving lavender and black:

lavender x black = 100% black split to lavender
lavender x black split to lavender = 50% lavender, 50% black split to lavender
black split to lavender x black split to lavender = 25% lavender, 50% black split to lavender, 25% black NOT split to lavender (but these will look identical to the ones that are split to lavender, and you won't be able to tell which ones are which)
lavender x lavender = 100% lavender

On your lavender cuckoos, the above equations would hold true for their lavender genes, but it would depend on which parents were cuckoo, and whether or not your roosters were double factored or single factored, as to how many cuckoo offspring of what sexes you got, and which male offspring were double factored vs. single factored.

Ok, my head hurts - so much for "keeping this as short as possible", eh? LOL! I DO love this stuff, but I swear I just don't know when to quit!!! Hope this helps??? If you want to continue this conversation privately we can - I just don't want to upset anyone by continuing off topic any further, ya know?

Last edited:
oh yeah, I got all that no problem, know well how to use the lavender, dominate white,blues and duns in colors... etc
yes I did breed both the male cuckoos and the lavender cuckoos, double factored on both, so may just be one of those genetic anomalies?? Who knows.
I too was wondering how in the world they came out solid,,LOL

To answer the OP's question.

If crossing different varieties of Polish will produce randomly colored colors (depending on the pairing).
Here are some varieties that you can cross for easier "sexing".

Like Black Polish Male x Barred Polish Female = Black Sexlinked Polish chicks

Turtlefeathers, has also given you an example of crossing colors, but a randomly or exotic colored Polish will look nice. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom